Epilogue

Dedicated to miss-rina (her book the beautiful and damned is currently something I'm reading and I like it omg)

***

Two weeks later...

If you ask me finally getting to see my mom since the day of the dance was way more awkward than when I had moved the majority of my things from mom's house to dad's house.
Charity's mom was a very chill but extremely shy woman, if not for the resemblance it'd be hard to believe that she and Charity actually shared any form of relationship.
The first week in the house had been a very nice experience. It was very awkward trying to settle into the fact that my father was now a permanent part of my life again. Isaac had already said he wouldn't be moving his things, but he occasionally visited to watch football with our father, he still hadn't called him "Dad" or "Father", always "Sir", but it was a process.
Nothing about the awkwardness of the first week at my dad's place though, could compare to what I felt after he had announced that my mom would be coming for the dinner he was hosting for some of his friends for his birthday.
Charity and I had exchanged looks that we would talk about it later and we had.
Having a sister meant now that I had someone to easily rant to and also someone to scream at when I couldn't find a certain clothing item.

By the time the party rolled around, I was already a nervous wreck. My hands didn't stop fidgeting as I got ready even when the party started. Charity had invited our group to the dinner party which I felt extremely grateful for, at least I didn't have to spend the entire evening being introduced to all my dad's friends who hadn't been "officially introduced"  to me.
"Adult parties are boring!" whined Grace. I could almost guarantee she was saying that because Marcus couldn't make it. To be clear, none of the boys were there. Edwards and Bolade already had plans and Damien had already travelled with his family for Christmas. No, we had not become a 'thing' yet. I really don't know what Damien was waiting for.
"Even though I know you're only saying this because of Marcus, I agree, it's worse during Easter, there's always one event or the other, and now we have to go together," Charity said, grinning at me at the last part.
"Are you actually serious?" I asked, momentarily distracted.
Charity nodded and opened her mouth to say more but Grace immediately gasped and grabbed my hand.
"Irene! Your mom's here,".
My head immediately snapped towards the direction Grace was facing and all my anxiety from earlier returned in full force.
There she was, hand in hand with Grandma looking as beautiful as ever, the same nervous energy that was probably radiating around me was also radiating around her. She whispered in Grandma's ear and Grandma laughed and whispered something back.
Charity nudged my arm, "Go and greet her joh,".
Grace agreed and they practically shoved me towards my mom's direction.
How exactly does one greet a mom who cheated on one's dad and basically made her feel like her dad had just chosen to leave for no reason, when they haven't seen her for two weeks since her mom was called out on her past mistakes? Seriously how?
I actually don't know if she could sense me, but my mom turned towards my direction, our eyes immediately locked and I felt so many emotions course through my veins. I missed her so much. I practically ran to hug her and she threw her hands around me even though I saw the brief look of shock on her face at my action. I inhaled her very familiar scent and I honestly could not just be angry at her again. It had been too long since I had heard her voice or hear her randomly shout things in Igbo from somewhere nearby.
We probably stayed in that position for like two minutes but it felt longer and I suddenly remembered Grandma had also come along,I pulled away to greet grandma but she wasn't there anymore.
"I've missed you," we said at the same time. Then immediately burst into laughter. We hugged again and I felt so much relief like a weight was taken off me.
"Where's Isaac?" I asked, suddenly realising my brother hadn't come with her.
She looked distracted at that question.
"He's, well he claims that he's busy, but then I suspect your brother has a girlfriend,".
The thought of Isaac being involved with any girl was so funny but then at the same time not quite so because Isaac was actually and unfortunately, attractive.
"How are you liking your father's place?" she asked, her eyes scanning the environment.
My dad and Charity's mom were nowhere to be seen but regardless, I could tell she felt nervous and out of place.
I took her and hand and led her towards the exit so we could go to the backyard.
"The place is actually really nice, she's accomodating and friendly and Charity is a dream," I said, with a laugh at the end.
We went to the back to sit and talk about what we've been up to the past two weeks.
My mom told me she had gotten my result for the term and I had actually done very well.
It was hard to believe that I have only joined Trinity Academy three months ago, life had evolved so much since that time.
As we sat and talked and laughed, I couldn't help actually being grateful that I had gone there, because in some ways, my life was actually very good compared to how it had been at the beginning.

The End

Writing the the end of a book is honestly so weird, probably because I've never finished a book before in my life. But thank you all for coming along on this journey with me, because it has been a long one.
I'll be going over to edit any errors in this book but yeah this book has finally finished and I'm honestly relieved because I've been writing this for so longggg.

Remember to Vote. Comment. Share.

Till whenever I write again,
xoxo,
Olly.