Proposition

"Oh, it's all so secretive," Queenie giggled. "He's warned me not to visit the bakery during the day as to not make people suspicious."

Tina whisked past with her dark gray coat, "Yes, it's all so exciting." She fumbled through the kitchen cabinets to find a mint.

Turning a page of her book, Adelaide hummed to herself, "I suppose you meet after hours?"

"That's what we agreed on. We have dinner at Dine de Alexie and dance the night away! Isn't that just the most roman..."

"Yes, yes, we find your dangerous, not-so-secret infatuation with Jacob quite enthralling," Tina huffed, chewing on a hard piece of old chewing gum she discovered. "But some of us aren't so lucky in acquiring such a stable romance."

Queenie tightened her lip and flexed her fingers at her knees, "Going to hunt down a date for the Spring Social?"

Tina closed her eyes and shoved her hands into her pockets, "That is the plan."

"And with the dance being only a few days away! Your timing is really impeccable, Teenie."

"Like mother, like daughter, I suppose. Wish me luck." She stiffly headed for the door of the apartment as Queenie followed the stream of anxious thoughts that appeared after her.

"You know, she didn't have to snap at me. Just because I found love before she did."

Anna finished another chapter in The Founded Foursome before closing it and addressing her sister, "Tina's never been the greatest at catching the guys, Queenie, you know that. Your stories make her nervous about finding a date."

Queenie stood and straightened her dress with a sullen smile, "I don't see why she should be. A career girl at her age should be able to sweep any man off their feet."

Refraining from rolling her eyes, Anna put her books away under the side table instead, "I believe some are simply more capable of catching the eye than others."

Queenie gave her a questioning look before continuing into the kitchen and noticing the mail pile near the bread box, "Why didn't you tell me the mail arrived? I've been waiting for my magazines for weeks."

"I didn't think to check." Anna moved for the window and peered down at the cobblestone streets of New York; the smog was particularly hazy that morning.

"Of course, sweetie," Queenie muttered, obviously scanning her sister's thoughts. "You only really care about seeing one letter in particular. I guess that means you still haven't gotten word?"

Anna bit the inside of her cheek and folded her arms sharply, unable to answer for the emotions bubbling up within herself; Queenie didn't need her to.

"Honey, just because he doesn't write consistently doesn't mean that he's forgotten about you."

"Then what is it?" there was an edge to her voice, obvious dislike for the topic of conversation.

Queenie clacked her heels as she moved from the counter to the living room, cautious steps, "You don't have to be a legilimens to know you're hiding, Addie. You need to talk about this – please, can we talk about it?"

"You have work," Anna cut her short, turning on her heel and darting for their shared room. There she gathered short shoes, a light jacket, and a cap.

Queenie followed right behind, "The Wand Permit Office isn't what I'm worried about right now. Besides, Abernathy is stuck watching Grindelwald so there's no one to get at me for not being at my desk."

Anna whirled around her and stuck her wand behind her ear, "I promised to meet Poppy for lunch."

"Addie, it's only 10 o'clock! What are you supposed to do for the next couple hours?"