SIX

It'd been exactly another week of school before Fitz was finally back, and things seemed to be normal again.

Well, except for the Maruca situation.

Everyone had pretty much gotten used to the fact that Maruca had joined the ranks of Stina Heks the toad—and there was no longer gossip going around school, but Biana still was very hurt.

"We've been best friends since 1st grade," Biana had told her the other day. "I just can't believe she'd trade me for Stina Heks,"

But now they'd all sworn not to even utter Maruca's name because she was a traitor and didn't deserve to be thought of.

So that was that.

It was now Dex's birthday, and they'd all decided to throw him a party. Fitz, Keefe, Wylie, and Tam went to go buy the food. Linh, Marella and Jensi went to decorate Dex's house with the help of his parents. Dex was with Grady. And Sophie, Biana, and Edaline went to go get the cake.

"Just remember," Sophie said as they walked in and stared up at the counter. "Don't get anything with strawberries in it,"

"Why?" Biana asked. "Does Dex not like them?"

Sophie shook her head. "No—I'm just very allergic to them and everyone loves Strawberry cake and I never get to eat any. That probably sounds selfish—"

"It doesn't," Biana cut her off. "I'd say the same thing."

Sophie smiled before they looked at all the cakes before finally making up their mind. Biana walked up to the counter and smiled at the lady.

"Can we get a two layered, raspberry filled vanilla cake with white frosting?" Biana asked, taking out her pink wallet.

The woman nodded. "Will that be all?"

Biana thought for a second. "And on the top of the cake can you put: 'Happy Birthday Dex'?"

"Yes Ma'am," The woman typed something into the computer before telling Biana. "That'll be fifty dollars and seventy-two cents."

Biana nodded, handing the woman a one-hundred dollar bill. "Thank you so much," Biana said as the woman gave Biana her change back.

The woman nodded. "Please wait while we prepare your cake,"

Biana smiled before walking over to where Sophie was sitting. "I don't know why," She said, sitting down beside her. "But this place seems a little familiar,"

"Really?" Sophie asked, looking around the shop. "I wonder why,"

Biana looked like she was about to say, "I don't know," but instead she said. "Oh—I just found out why,"

She nodded to the other side of the shop, and when Sophie looked she saw Maruca Endal staring at them.

"This is her families cake shop," Biana whispered, sounding like she was being tortured. "I totally forgot."

Sophie bit her lip. "Well, it's a good thing we only have to be here for a few more minutes,"

Biana nodded. "You're right—only a few minutes,"

§§§

After waiting forty-five minutes they finally got the cake and started heading toward Edaline's car so they could drive to Dex's house.

"That cake smells good," Edaline said as they drove through town. "What kind is it?"

"It's a two layered, raspberry filled vanilla cake with white frosting," Sophie said, reciting what Biana had told the cashier lady.