11; alive

[14th February XX]

"She's got two days left! She's rotting in that cell, Nayeon! She looks so ragged, it's as if it isn't her!" Chaeyoung cried. "And it's our fault! It was our conversation that led to this, it was my stupidity!"

Nayeon cradled Chaeyoung in her arm. "Sh, I know. We need to work fast, her trial is in two days as well."

"But all the evidence leads to her. The fact that she doesn't have a proper alibi, the fact that she received those messages, and the fact that the person who sent those messages to me seems like Sana." Chaeyoung closed her eyes.

"You're not helping, Chaeyoung. We all know Sana's innocent, but the evidence doesn't show it." Nayeon clicked her tongue. "None of us are lawyers, what are we meant to do?"

Chaeyoung shrugged her shoulders. "The news are making bank out of Sana's plight. She doesn't deserve this. The police won't believe us either, and we don't have a recording of our original conversation."

Jeongyeon walked into the apartment, sighing as she threw her coat over the chair.

"Sana has no alibi whatsoever. All she has is that she was at her apartment, asleep. Worst of all, the electricity was cut off, so the cameras in the apartment were all off. From the time that she came in, there was no footage." Jeongyeon rubbed her temples. "This is killing me."

"Someone's out there, getting away with this. What exactly do they want?" Nayeon groaned.

Jeongyeon shrugged her shoulders as she tapped on her keyboard. "All I know is that so much is happening, and Sana's only been here for three days."

"Okay, we need to make a list of everything that's happened so far since Sana arrived." Chaeyoung took out a pen and a pad.

The other two nodded in unison.

SINCE SANA ARRIVED
• Mina's disappearance
• Nari's disappearance
• Sana in jail
• a blackmailer
• kidnapper

Nayeon shook her head. "This isn't looking good for Sana. What could they possibly want from her? She lost everything-"

Both Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung turned their heads to Nayeon.

"I didn't mean to sound rude like that. Let's move on." Nayeon nervously chuckled. "So, let's deal with Mina first.

"We know she's alive. We've been getting photos of Mina for two days."

"And today is valentines day." Chaeyoung sulked. "I just want her back. Is that too much to ask for?"

Nayeon and Jeongyeon both came over and hugged Chaeyoung, who looked as if she was about to cry.

"I don't want her to die. I love her, I love her, I love her. I just want her back safely." Chaeyoung sobbed. "I want everything to go back to normal."

Jeongyeon leaned her head on Chaeyoung's shoulder. "We all do."

Chaeyoung gulped as she released herself from the embrace of the two.

"I'm gonna go out on the balcony for a second."

The two nodded as they watched Chaeyoung leave.

There was a moment of silence between the two.

Suddenly, Nayeon coughed to clear her throat, wanting to end the awkward silence.

"So, how have you been lately?" Nayeon asked first, her eyes focused on her feet.

Jeongyeon nodded her head. "Could've been better. You?"

"Same." Nayeon quickly replied. "Chaeyoung said it was valentines day. I completely forgot about it."

Jeongyeon chuckled. "Same. It's not that important too, right?"

"Yeah, I guess so." Nayeon answered. She took a deep breath as she turned to Jeongyeon. "Can I ask you something?"

"I mean, sure."

"Are you... you know?"

"Am I what? Gay? Yes." Jeongyeon laughed.

"No, not that. I mean, are you..." Nayeon paused. "ARGH! I can't say it!"

Jeongyeon chuckled.

"Am I dating anyone? Nope." She smirked. "If that answers your question."

Nayeon nodded slightly. "Y-yeah."

"Are you dating anyone either?"

Nayeon shook her head.  "I haven't dated anyone since we broke up."

Jeongyeon smiled to herself. "Then you wouldn't mind if we tried again, right?"

"Why so fast, Yoo?" Nayeon furrowed her eyebrows.

"I don't know. Maybe this whole situation has made me realise that no matter what I try to do, you're always involved.

"Like I'm meant to be with you all the time. From Momo to Sana, everyone that seems to be between us are the people who are bringing us closer.

"So what do you say, Im? Are you willing to give us another shot?" Jeongyeon leaned closer.

Nayeon's face turned red. "I'm willing if you are."

"I'm glad to hear so." Jeongyeon quickly pecked Nayeon's cheek. "It's been ages since I did that."

Nayeon smirked, tugging Jeongyeon's collar and bringing her closer.

"And it's been so long since I've done this."

"Done what?" Jeongyeon stared into Nayeon's eyes.

"This."

Nayeon pulled Jeongyeon in to give her a kiss, before Chaeyoung walked in, and Nayeon shoved Jeongyeon to the ground.

"Ow." Jeongyeon groaned in pain, rubbing her arm and chest.

"What happened to her?" Chaeyoung asked, looking at the pained Jeongyeon.

"Oh, nothing. She just fell off the sofa." Nayeon tried to cool her red cheeks down. "So, why'd you come back so fast?"

"I got my daily dose of fresh air." Chaeyoung smiled. She felt her phone suddenly buzz. "Hold on."

Jeongyeon sat up as Chaeyoung took out her phone. "Who is it?"

Chaeyoung froze.

Nayeon took the phone from Chaeyoung's hand and quickly opened it.

"It's the unknown number."

"Well what does it say?" Jeongyeon asked curiously, standing up.

UNKNOWN NUMBER
today is valentine's day, right?
meant to be with your lover, isn't it?
wrong.
ask tzuyu where her partner is, she'll say she doesn't know.
ask me where nari is, and i can tell you one thing.
she's nowhere anymore.

They all gulped, realising what this meant.

"What... Nari?" Chaeyoung shakily asked.

Nayeon looked at the phone again, which had buzzed with another message.

"Hold on, here's another one."

UNKNOWN NUMBER
Bae Nari: eliminated.
Who's next?

"Oh god. No, no, no." Jeongyeon opened her eyes in shock.

"E-eliminated? What does that mean?" Chaeyoung felt shivers going down her spine.

"It means, Chaeng," Nayeon paused.

"It means she's dead."