FOURTEEN

"If you're a girl-scout, we don't want you here. If you're the blond girl who likes to talk to my boy, please say so," Ro's voice said through the speaker when Sophie went to go see Keefe that evening.

"It's Sophie," She said with a smile. Sophie wondered why girl scouts would always come over to Keefe's house, but never Sophie's. It was kind of weird.

The gate swung open and when Sophie looked at the door, she expected to see Ro standing at the threshold, but instead it was someone she'd only seen twice—but she'd never talked to.

"You must be the Sophie Foster my son talks so much about," Keefe's mom said, glowering down at Sophie.

She looked a lot like Keefe—golden blond hair, a perfect tan, and icy-blue eyes. But even with all the similarities, she still looked very scary—unlike Keefe.

"Yes ma'am," Sophie said, trying not to feel too intimidated.

Keefe's mom glared at her with disdain after looking Sophie over. "And what are you here for?"

"I wanted to come see Keefe," Sophie said, rubbing her sweaty palms on her shirt. "If that's alright,"

Keefe's mom nodded once before moving out of the way. "I think he's upstairs,"

"Thank you," Sophie said, turning to head up the stairs, but Keefe's mom stopped her.

"Oh—and Miss Foster?"

Sophie turned around. "Yes?"

"After you're done talking with my son, I'd like to have a word with you," She said it so chillingly that Sophie's hands became even more sweaty.

But Sophie still nodded before running up the stairs and knocking on Keefe's bedroom door very hastily.

"Do not disturb me in my manly chambers—I'm contemplating life," Keefe's muffled voice said.

"Well, if you really want me to go..." Sophie said with a smile.

"Wait," Keefe said, sounding like he was getting up from his bed. Then the door opened and Keefe's head popped out. "Foster? What're you doing here?"

Sophie smiled, pushing her way into his room to find it covered with random junk. "I told you I was coming last night."

Keefe's cheeks turned pink as he shut his door. "I didn't think you were being serious—otherwise I would've cleaned up this mess."

Sophie smiled. "Well that's what I'm here for," She started picking up clothes and throwing them on Keefe's bed. "Seriously, why is your room such a mess?"

"Because my mom accused me of stealing one of her stamp books and I had to put on a show of looking through everything in my room to prove her wrong." Keefe said it with a smile.

Sophie bit her lip as she picked up his books and put them back on his bookshelf. "Well, speaking of your mom..."

Keefe sighed. "What'd she do?"

"Nothing," Sophie said. "She's just a little...scary,"

Keefe laughed. "Yeah, but you haven't talked to my dad yet—now he's scary."

Sophie smiled, and then continued to talk to him about how her day had gone so far—and he told her the same thing. It took them an hour to finish Keefe's room, but they'd had fun while doing it.

"Do you need anything else?" She asked, putting both of her hands on her hips.

Keefe thought for a second before shaking his head. "Nope—we finished packing up everything this morning, and I'm not going to see my mom off at the airport tonight, so..."