FIFTEEN

When Sophie woke up the next day, she made an extensive effort to make sure the house was as clean as crystal.

"Wow," Grady said as Sophie dusted all the wood surfaces. "Maybe we should invite the Vacker's over more often—the house it practically shining."

Sophie glared at her dad, but didn't stop dusting. "But you're always complaining about how when people come over they're eating you out of house and home. So I don't think that'd be a good idea."

Grady chuckled. "I guess you're right," Then he got up from his seat. "I'm going to head to the grocery store to pick up some things for dinner tonight—what do your friends usually eat?"

"Um," Sophie said, not sure about Fitz, but: "Biana is vegan,"

Grady stared at Sophie for a second before sighing. "Alright—I guess I'll by a ton of non-meat,"

Sophie laughed, because she knew that Grady was planning on fixing steak. "Sorry,"

Grady shook his head as he headed toward the front door. "No problem—we'll eat carrots like bunnies tonight. How does that sound?"

Sophie laughed. "Perfect,"

"So we're eating spaghetti without meatballs and a mixture of zucchini and squash," Sophie said, looking through the grocery bags Grady had brought in. "And for dessert we're having gelato."

"Yep," Grady said, then he blinked. "Don't tell me Fitz is allergic to zucchini." Then his face perked up. "Actually, tell me what he is allergic to. Then I can put it in the food and then you won't have to date him for a while because he'll be out of commission."

Sophie glared at Grady, but still answered the question. "I actually...don't know what Fitz is allergic to—maybe nothing,"

"Wow, you're a really dedicated girlfriend," Grady said sarcastically.

Sophie rolled her eyes. "In my defense, ever since we started dating, there's been nothing but drama. So maybe if you allow me to go to Hawaii I could get to know him better and then maybe you'll be impressed with what I know about him."

"Bribes won't get you anywhere kiddo," Grady said with a laugh. "I'm not entirely sold on the idea of you being five hours away from me and Edaline,"

Sophie smiled. "Yes, but Alden is going to be there—and if I remember correctly, you told me you trusted Alden with your life,"

"Ah, but if I remember correctly, you brought up the point that Alden could be raving lunatic," Grady said, raising an eyebrow.

Sophie laughed. "Yes, but from my memory you talked to Alden when we got to Fitz's party—I'm assuming you two were bro-ing the whole time."

Grady laughed. "Alright, you win—but that does not mean I've agreed to Hawaii, I still need to talk to Alden and Della about it."

Sophie nodded before walking away and going up to her room.

She spent the rest of her afternoon on the group chat with all her friends, and soon they'd gotten on the topic of Wylie's graduation. Then Biana opened another group chat that excluded Wylie and told everyone that they needed to put their heads together and throw a party for him. Everyone seemed to agree with the idea.

When 5:30 rolled around, Sophie quickly changed into a gray tank-top, a pair of shorts and some flip-flops—since she knew the first thing they'd have to do was bathe Verdi.