Epilogue

ONE YEAR LATER

ONE YEAR LATER

I wipe my palms on my dress pants as I glance at the screen in front of me. The NBA draft is ten minutes away and I am stressed. I don't think I have ever sweated this much in my entire life. Even the final round of March Madness didn't make me this stressed out. I had interviews out the ass today and yesterday they all have been talking about the possibility of me being a number one pick. A hand reaches over mine her promise ring shinning on her finger of her freshly painted black nails. I look over and see Carter sending me her dimpled smile her long brown hair curled with a sexy little black dress with sparkles outlining her waist and boobs. I gave her the promise ring until I can give her an actual one.

And she would have gotten one, had she not made it clear not until after she graduates.

"Asher, you have nothing to worry about," she says in a comforting tone as I glance at Ashley and my brother. Then glance back at my mom. She is watching them talk over the screen in our booth happily.

"I have everything to worry about if I don't get number one-"

She cuts me off with a laugh as she glances towards my family in the booth. She sighs standing up from her chair she plants her sexy self on my lap. I hold her against me taking in her coconut scent planting a kiss on her tattoo behind her ear. My jersey number.

"You're going to be the number one draft pick, there's no way you won't," she says fixing the collar of my suit. "And in the event you aren't well, I guess we are breaking up."

I look down at her with a pissed off glare and she just gives me her dimpled smile, "Not funny."

"I thought it was. On a serious note, who cares? Asher as long as you are able to live out your dream, who cares what team you're on. Just know I love you and I will always be there for you. Even if we aren't in the same state or city. Forever remember?"

She wiggles her hand that has the promise ring on it and I glance down at my own. A tattoo for her, on my left wrist.

I take a breath in and look down at my girl. I don't know how she has put up with me for this long. Our two year anniversary just passed and she still does not miss a chance to amaze me. I lean down grabbing her cheek and press a kiss to her lips. My mom, brother, Ashley, and Cora are seated at the table behind us. I got invited to have a table here at the NBA draft which is taking place in New York City which is a coincidence because New York Knicks are the first pick tonight.

My father is nowhere in sight. After my mother, brother and Carter participated in the divorce and the papers were final my mom has moved down here to Florida in a small home. She started working again and she is so much happier. More like my mom when I was little. Once I get drafted, I plan on paying for her whole house so she no longer has to worry about payments. And a ring for Carter, a real one this time.