Chapter 24: Bad Kitty

I could've sworn I heard a sigh of relief as she rubbed herself against the warm cushions.

It is pretty cold outside, I thought with a frown before closing the window.

"You're here again," I greeted flatly.

The little black cat looked up at me curiously.

She tilted her head to the side as if to silently answer my question.

Yes, I'm here again, foolish human.

I found myself on my bed after getting the message. I crisscrossed my legs and stared down at her solemnly.

"You're an invasive cat, did you know that?"

She stood on her galloping feet making light steps, the self confidence and prideful glow being a vital part of such feline beauty.

For some reason, it was like a mockery to my intellect.

The way she carried herself.

I could hardly contain my reaction when she licked her paw and extended it as if to say, I know and what about it?

My jaw dropped.

I quickly collected myself, not wanting to look crazier than I already am.

I was talking to a cat for Christ's sake.

How much lonelier could I get?

Soon, I'll be on par with Taylor Swift and have two more additions to the family.

One is a happening, but three's a crowd.

I shook away my silly thoughts and tried to gear my attention away from the thing before me.

"Okay, so I'll take that as a yes." I noted slowly before checking my phone.

There was nothing—no one missed me.

Wait.

I scanned through my list of conversations seeing one I hadn't opened marked as read.

Okay, that's weird.

It was from Genie's boyfriend, Eric.

My hands held the phone a bit tighter out of anxiety.

Eric never called me unless there was something wrong.

And by that I meant between him and my best— his girlfriend.

"Hey, Eric, what's up?" I greeted feigning cheerfulness.

I could've sworn the black cat almost broke her neck looking up at me.

He cleared his throat before speaking. "Hi, Isabelle. How've you been?"

"I've been doing good." I lied straight through my teeth.

After all, he was being polite.