Hot Chocolate

Hey everyone! Thanks for reading and commenting on this story! Hope you guys enjoy this next chapter!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Everyone has something that comforts them in a time of need or vulnerability. Rather it be an item, food, movie, TV show. Or even a person. For Maya, it was her mothers famous hot chocolate. Nobody could make hot chocolate like Katy Hunter.

Back when Maya was younger and Katy worked at the diner, she could never turn down her mothers hot chocolate. When Katy and Kermit would stay up late fighting when Maya was younger, as she hid under the covers trying to close out the sound of the yelling, her mother would come in after every fight with a nice mug of hot chocolate.

Whenever Maya felt stressed, overwhelmed, or her spirits were down in general, she would always grab a nice cup of her mothers hot chocolate. Tonight was no different.

College was hard. Of course, Maya knew that college would be hard, but she wasn't really expecting to have an emotional breakdown almost every week when it came to her studies and classes. Hot chocolate seemed to be coming a normal thing for Maya on weekends. Coming home every Friday night just so she could have a cup of hot chocolate.

Of course, her mother couldn't be there all the time to make her some. So she taught Maya at a young age how to make it so she didnt have to depend on her mother for everything. So sitting in the Matthew's kitchen at one in the morning with her text books out in front of her and a nice steaming pot of hot chocolate on the stove to refill her mug, was not unusual for Maya.

Throwing her pen down on the table in frustration as she grabbed the mug of hot chocolate, she brought it to her lips and calmed down a little. Maya put the mug down and picked up her pen again, leaning back over her text book.

"How many cups have you had so far?" Maya jumped as she looked up and saw Josh's amused smirk on his face as he looked up at her from the couch.

"Gees, Josh." She stated as she brought her hand up to hold her chest. "Make some noise." She told him before she grabbed the cup and brought it back to her lips again.

"Hey, you were the one that woke me up." He told her before he removed the covers from off of him and got up from the couch. He stretched a little before walking over to the kitchen table and sitting down across from her.

"Sorry," Maya mumbled as she brought the cup to her lips again before setting it back down and getting up to grab the pot to refill her mug. "Want some?" She asked him as she pored it. Josh shook his head.

"I doubt there would be enough for me." He joked. Maya gave him a look before she set the pot back down on the stove and plopped back down on the bench. Josh frowned as he looked at the text books and papers scattered across the table. He noticed the bags and red rimmed around Maya's eyes. Her hair sticking up from every direction as she had ran her hand through it probably thousands of times since she started studying that night. "Maya, what are you doing to yourself?" He asked her.

"Huh?" Maya mumbled as she looked up from the text books, her eyes drooping.

"We're on break, Maya. Why are you studying?" Josh asked her again with a mixture of concern, amusement and confusion in his voice.

"Oh," Maya sighed. "Because if I dont get my grade up in math, I'm going to fail the semester." She replied. Josh frowned as he looked down at the paper she had been writing on. It had marks on it from where she had constantly wrote something down and then erased it over and over again.

"But why are you doing this on break?" Josh asked. "They call it a break for a reason." He told her. Maya scoffed.

"Not for me. I'm too stupid to take breaks." She mumbled, hoping he hadn't heard it. But he did. Josh narrowed his eyebrows.

"Okay, first of all, you are not stupid." He started as he reached his hand across the table and closed Maya's textbook, ignoring her protests. "Secondly, you've been studying all night. You're tired and if you just keep trying to study you're only going to stress yourself out more."

Josh started grabbing all the text books and papers scattered across the table and putting them in a neat pile at the center of the table. Once the table was actually recognizable again, he reached across the table and grabbed her hand before it reached out for the hot chocolate mug. Maya looked up at him.

"Maya, the only thing that's going to help you right now is a good nights rest." He said seriously. Maya glared at him.

"Easy for you to say, you're a math wizard. You get straight A's in that class." Maya couldn't stop her tone from having a little bitterness and coldness in it. Josh just shook his head.

"Why didnt you tell me you were having trouble with math, I could help you." Josh stated, but Maya shook her head.

"That's exactly why I didnt tell you." She told him. "I didnt want you to know that I was stup-"

"Dont finish that sentence." Josh told her sternly as he cut her off. Maya stared at him before sighing and taking her hand out of his. She grabbed her mug and got up to fill it back up. Josh rolled his eyes as he got up and walked around the table to meet her at the counter.

Maya froze as she felt his breath on the side of her neck. Josh reached around her and grabbed the mug from her hand and put it back on the counter before grabbing her shoulders and turning her around to face him. Maya stared at him as he looked down at her with a look she couldn't quite read.

"You've had enough hot chocolate for the night." He stated. "You're going to go get in bed, sleep until I wake you up in the morning, then after breakfast you and I are going to go out and spend the day in the City." Maya grinned but shook her head.

"That's sweet, Josh. But I have to work on ma-"

"And I will help you." Josh cut her off. "But after break." His tone told her that the conversation was over. And Maya snorted but agreed. Maybe if Josh helped her, she wouldn't suck as bad. Sighing she nodded her head. Josh let a small smirk on his face. "Besides, private study dates in a dorm room can be quite enjoyable." Maya scoffed.

"Oh I'm sure." She let her arms venture around his neck as his came to rest around her waist. "I have to finish the hot chocolate before I go to bed so it doesnt go to waist." Maya told him. Josh huffed as he reached behind her and grabbed the mug and brought it back around her to bring it up to his lips.

Maya rolled her eyes at him as she watched him finish it off. He brought the mug back on the counter and slipped his hand back around her waist as he had a thoughtful look on his face before he opened his mouth.

"That was disgusting." He stated. "Maya's eyes widened as she brought her hand down and hit him on the chest. "I mean seriously, who drinks peppermint hot chocolate." His face twisted in disgust.

"I cant believe you!" Maya exclaimed. "How can you not like pep-"

But this time, Josh cut her off with his lips, and Maya melted into the kiss as she could taste the peppermint on both of their lips. Hot chocolate taking on a whole new meaning.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading!