Crown Jewel of the block

You stared up with a grin at the blank, glossy screen of your flip-phone, the ink grown fuzzy from the wear on your arm.

After militarised instructions from Papyrus on how to conduct the phone, he inserted himself as the emergency contact, embarrassed flush burning his cheekbones as his phalanges fumbled with the tiny buttons, struggling. You did your best not to laugh at his frustration. With a dignified huff of pride, he closed the phone, handing it to you as he rose. "For emergencies only." He warned. That was the trade-off. A phone granted for situations in which Papyrus would solve should you call for it. Which you wouldn't. Squinting up at the smeared ink, you dialled in the number before making his contact. 'Sans' it read. You eyed it... it felt as though it needed something. 'Sans :)' Perfect.

Now something to say.

You blanked, rolling onto your side as the mattress dipped from under you. 'Hi, it's (y/n)! Remember me? Your-not-wife?' Too weird. 'Hey.' ...too simple. You grinned. 'I tried thinking of an ice-breaker, but I broke out into CHILLS!' No, although he would appreciate the gesture— he wouldn't have any idea it was you. Frowning in thought, you settled for: 'Hey, it's (y/n). :)' Send. "And now, we wait—" You grinned, setting the device aside before you were cut off by an automated whistle. You looked down. 'Princess! Was wondering when you were gonna text, kid. ;)' You smiled, another whistle sounding. 'Oh- uh, probably responded too quick, huh-? Sorry, kid. I've been getting antsy! ;)' You were about to type before another whistle shot: 'Wud??' 'Huh?' 'Heh. Sorry, you must be unused to that— what are you doing?'

'Staring at the palace walls, I've got a break! :)' 'Nice.' 'Wud? ;)' 'Ooh, quick learner- and is that a wink I see? Well aren't you full of surprises Princess? Cleaning my humble apartment. I'd love to give you the ROYAL tour it's really the CROWN JEWEL of the block. ;)' you found yourself laughing despite yourself. 'I'd love to :)' 'I could take you if you want.' Smirking, you jokingly texted: 'Now?' 'Sure ;)' Your smirk plunged. There was virtually no escape from the palace- guards stationed in armoured pairs at every entrance- every window— To say that Papyrus went a little overboard with the protective measures was an understatement- a huge one. There were even guards in front of your room for Pete's sake-! How did he think he was going to-??  A familiar grin answered that for you.

Lo and behold, Sans stood grinning at the foot of your bed as you sputtered, phalanges ceremoniously shoved in the pockets of his hoodie as he glanced around the room despite your stupor- "Classy joint..." he commented, skull rearing back to look at the ceiling. "What are you doing here-?! How are you here?!" You hissed, watching his grin spread. "I'm here to pick you up, kid. We still have time to leave before I pull out my pick-up lines—!" He snorted, your face flaming as it shook. "No, no- I meant what are you doing here-?! There are guards everywhere! You'll be killed!" He looked around himself, shuffling to catch a look behind him. "I don't see em'." He shrugged. You groaned, palming your face as he chuckled, extending his phalanges with a warm grin. "C'mon..."

You hesitated, staring at the boney hand. "Chin up, kid! It's your break isn't it-? You deserve a good time." You glanced up at him. "That, and I ordered a lot from Grillby's- I can't eat it by myself." You laughed at this, taking his hand- surprisingly warm. 'Red's' were always clammy as if he were nervous. Sans swallowed, trying to keep his cool as blue rushed to his cheekbones. "Let's go kid." He began to walk to the end of the room- headed straight for the wall. "Sans—" You began, confused before he pulled you into his side, your cheek against his plush hoodie as he picked up the pace. You yelped as you walked into the wall— only to appear in the emptiness of a different space. You looked up at his triumphant grin. "Ta-Da! Shortcut!" You didn't know what to say.