006. PENNYS ARE FOREVER

PENNYS ARE FOREVER
YOU

PENNYS ARE FOREVER, Amy thought

PENNYS ARE FOREVER, Amy thought. She watched as Jo and Penelope wrestle each up the stairs other over a few pages of Jo's new novel. Penelope was one of the only people who didn't listen to Jo's demands- who tested her on them. Amy liked that.

"And she waited there, for the silence to succumb her heart," Penelope read, Jo laughed and attempt to snatch the pages of her book back from Penny's grasp. Penelope stood tall, holding her hand up high so they were out of Jo's reach. Jo's fingertips missed the pages by just one inch.

"Give them back, you absolute pest of a girl," Jo smiled, standing on her tip-toes she could just reach them. Penelope smiled as Jo took them back.

"You wanted to show me your book! Did you not?" Penelope grinned, watching as Jo put the pages of her precious pieces of writing back with the others, treating each page with a gentleness. "All I did was read it," She pointed out, sitting down on the couch of the March's attic. The late sunset, shining through the windows- it made Penny's skin shine Jo noticed. She would write that down later.

"Yes, but that part isn't finished yet!" Jo swiftly turned her head around to shoot her a glare, "You can't read an unfinished chapter,"

"Life is an unfinished chapter," Penny brushes her fingers over her dress, smoothing out the fabric.

"Not mine," Jo sat on the ground across from Penny, "I know what my life will entail," She nodded.

"Oh, I can only imagine," Penelope smiled, "Please, tell me all about what the glorious life of Jo March will entail," Penelope sat up straight and closed her eyes, Jo smiled as Penny prepared herself for Jo's story.

"Well," Jo stood, "As you know I am set to become the world's most famous writer," Jo held her own hands and paced back and forth around the room- the noise distracting Beth from playing the piano downstairs.

"Of course," Penny smiled, a straight face. She had learnt to never poke fun at Jo's dreams in the short time that she had known her.

"Then, once I have made my fortune, I will take care of my family and Laurie- buy them all houses in Europe. I will buy the house that I will stay in next year with my Aunt March off of the landlord, so it can remind me of how far I have come," The confidence in her voice cause Penelope's smile to grow. "Then, we will travel the world together," Penelope's eyes opened.

"We?"

Jo seemed almost offended by her shocked tone. "Well why wouldn't it be 'we'?" She stopped her pacing, "I don't plan on our friendship ending any time in the near future," Jo watched Penny's face, she could never read it, "Do you?"

It was as if Penelope's mind was smiling. The thought of Jo wanting to travel the world with her made her heart jump, up and down, up and down.

"Of course not," Penelope shook her head, a smile breaking out onto her face. Jo felt her heart start beating again. She swallowed the lump in her throat before allowing her confidence take over once more.

"I should think so," She gave Penny a single nod. "Then, once we return home- we can grow old together and never be tied down by anyone or anything!" Jo looked out the window, the sun was gone.

"What do you mean?" Penelope's tone was slow, it made Jo anxious.

"Well you're not going to get married are you?" Jo almost laughed out of nervousness, "Why would you want to do that?"

"Jo," Penelope started, "I want to be in love, I love to be in love, you see?" Penelope let her shoulders slump a little bit. Jo noticed how Penny's eyes did not meet hers.

"Love is for fools, Penny," Jo looked away from her, the room felt suddenly colder, "I will never marry,"

"Well, that is your decision," Penelope nodded, taking in Jo's words, "But I will marry and I will adore every minute of it,"

A knock sounded out throughout the March household. Penelope heard Ethel greet Marmie from downstairs, she was back from her luncheon with Mr Laurence- it was time for Penelope to leave.

"I have to go," Penelope stood, she didn't want this to be how they left things.

But Jo was stubborn, she didn't want to leave things this way either, but she couldn't help but want the last word. "Okay," Jo's arms were crossed. Penelope waited for her to say something, but she did not.

Penelope mustered up a smile, and curtsied- ending every exchange, the same as the last. "Goodbye Jo,". She didn't wait for a response before coming back down the stairs.

And she waited there, for the silence to succumb her heart

"Thank you for dinner and for allowing me to stay Mrs March, your hospitality is appreciated greatly," Penelope bid Marmie farewell. "It was lovely to meet you both, Amy and Beth- Meg, wonderful to see you again," The March sisters noticed how rushed her goodbye was.

"You are welcome over anytime," Marmie was a little startled by the pace of Penelope's goodbye.

"Thank you, please tell Hannah that dinner was lovely," She curtsied once more, smiling again. Meg was an actress, she could she straight through it. Jo must've done something she thought.

"Thank you for having her, any of your girls are more than welcome to come to our house anytime they would like," Ethel handed Penelope her coat that she had left in the carriage earlier than morning. "Lovely to meet you all,"

The March girls watched as Penelope left, her exterior dejected. Her step was not as lively as it was when she first arrived at their home.

"Jo March!" Meg screamed, "What did you do?!"

( TAG-LIST )
silverfalcons, jbassettt, bananadas, casfollowedthebeezackarina_writesmannequinn25, georgesmlths, neplutos, softlyiridescent, -icyblood + rxvenclxaws

if you would like to be added to the tag-list, comment here

if you would like to be removed from the tag-list, comment here