22. Psychadelia

The taxi driver was reckless as hell as he sped up the roads winding up the hills. There was a greenish bruise on my knee that I poked until it hurt as I wondered where it came from.

I hadn't been doing well since I'd tried to take a break from my relationship. Christian could tell. There was a distance between us now that was hard to close. Mostly from my part. I told him that I still needed space if he wasn't going to let us take a break and eventually, he respected my decision.

It had been about a week since then. I saw that girl Lauren from across the street that Alex used to have a thing with more than I saw my own boyfriend and if I'm honest, it was relieving. However I still felt awful that I'd even questioned our relationship, his reaction made me filled to the brim with guilt. He was still hovering here and there but he was giving me the space I needed. To the best of his abilities.

My phone buzzed, catching my attention from the passing sunset-lit scenery around me.

Alex: You still coming tonight?

I managed a smiled and eagerly messaged back.

Me: On my way now.

Alex: You still up for it? If not that's all good it's no problem, I don't want you to feel pressured.

Me: no I'm still good. But thanks for making sure.

There was no allusive way to put it, I was doing everything in my abilities to find a way to feel contempt with my life and ignore Christian until I got my head together and remembered every reason why I loved him. That and I just wanted to live my life now being free of the reigns of college.

"This one here," I pointed out to the taxi driver Alex's house as we slowed down the street.

Thanking him for the ride, I handed him a few notes and stepped out, slinging my bag over my shoulder and making my way up to the house. There was a doorbell, but I decided to knock.

Pretty much everyone was there. Alex, Nick, Jamie, Matt, Miles, Katie and Arielle. Breana and Kelly had to miss on the occasion. We were getting together one last time as they were all heading off to the UK momentarily. When Alex told me they were leaving to headline at Glastonbury Festival I almost choked on my drink. I honestly forgot he and the guys were in a band and did things like that. I was both excited for them and sad that I wasn't going to be able to see them for some time.

"I'm gonna miss you guys," I said to them, hugging them all tight as I walked into the lounge room.

"We're gonna miss ya too," Matt said during our embrace.

"You should come!" Jamie piped from his spot on the sofa next to Katie.

  "Can't afford it," I chuckled as Miles hugged me in a side-on embrace telling me it was good to see me again.

  "Any more tattoos since I last saw ya?" he asked.

  "No, none yet," I smiled.

  "You want anything to drink O?" Alex asked me as I took a seat on one of the couches. That was the first time he called me that.

  "No I'm okay," I smiled.

  "Alright, let me know if ya do at any point," he said and sat down next to me.

  It was always the best nights, those that I spent with the whole group, that were my favourites. Everyone was always laughing and joking around. No bitter or sour exchanges, ever. Everyone always got along. It was the most perfect environment to counter my relationship and the whole state it was in now.