[36] The Phantom | The Phantom II | Tease

"Home sweet home," JJ mumbled, his voice strained as he looked at his house. I placed a hand on his shoulder, squeezing it tight. I was surprised that he put his hand over mine, squeezing back.

"Do you want me to come?" I asked him as he let go of my hand to run his hand through his hair. He shook his head, refusing the offer. "Nah, this'll only take a second."

I had a deep, dark pit of worry forming in my stomach as he got out of the car, walking up to his house. He turned back and flashed a reassuring smile. I felt like I couldn't breath as he opened the door and disappeared within. I prayed he'd come out within the next ten minutes, and if not, I'd be going in.

I looked over at Kiara in the driver's seat, her face mirroring the same worried look as my own. I swallowed, realizing now was the perfect time o talk to her.

"Are you going to tell me why you've been hating me recently?" I asked. She furrowed her brows and looked away, shaking her head. "I don't hate you."

"Really? Why don't you cut the bullshit."

She scoffed, shaking her head as she kept her gaze on everything but me. I could feel my temper rising as I thought of every possibility of why she could be mad. Then, I realized it. She started acting weird after I told her I liked JJ. I could feel bitter laughter bubbling in my chest, and soon enough it was spilling from my mouth. She turned, confused as to why I was laughing.

"It's JJ, isn't it?" I laughed. "You've been acting weird ever since that night on the boat when I told you and Sarah that I liked him. So, what? You suddenly like JJ or something? Was John B and Pope not enough for you?"

My words were harsh, and I knew that. But, I meant for them to be harsh because I was hurt. She choked on her spit, her jaw dropping as listened to what I said.

"Bee, I.. I have no idea where.. No! I don't like JJ," she stuttered, giving an incredulous look at the accusation.

"Then, tell me. Why have you been such an ass?"

She sighed, looking out the window once again as she tucked hair behind her ear. "I'm scared. Nothings going to be the same."

I could feel hot steam come from out my ears as I listened to the same sob story from her. I punched the door of the car, feeling unable to control my frustrations.

"For fuck's sake, Kiara, cut that shit out!" I yelled, unable to keep my irritation at her constant insecurity regarding our friend group in check. "This conversation is getting old."

She nodded her head, looking out the window. "No, you're right. I'm sorry I took it out on you."

"You fucking should be. Aren't girls suppose to support girls or something like that?"

"I get it! I was wrong! Can we drop it?!" Her voice was loud and defensive, cutting through the air in the car like a knife.

I sighed, leaning back on the leather seats deciding I could be mature about this while still standing my ground. "Drop it? Yeah. Forget it? No."

I looked out the window just in time to see JJ come out of his house, busting open the door and stomping down the stairs. Kie started the car, bringing it to life as JJ hopped in. I watched his face, noticing it looked as if he had been crying.

"How'd it go?" Kiara asked quietly.

He held up his hand, flashing us the keys to the Phantom. We didn't say anything, but the air in the car felt as if nothing should be said. Kiara put the car in reverse, heading to our next destination.