7. Safe Haven

I'd replayed the moment the black book flew open in my mind over and over again

I'd replayed the moment the black book flew open in my mind over and over again. Every time I did, Book Boy's face filled my head. That eerie smile that didn't quite meet his eyes, and the silence that seemed to surround him.

I wanted to just put him out of my head, or at least convince myself that he was just a little odd. The kind of person who was so painfully pretty that they hadn't needed to learn adequate social skills. The problem was, every time I told myself I was overthinking everything, I'd remember something else. Like the way he was so finicky over his food or seemed to hear things he had no way of hearing. Each observation was like another piece of the puzzle, and my curious mind wouldn't let me rest until I'd solved it.

In an attempt to distract myself, I'd spent my Saturday morning doing necessary chores like washing dirty laundry and cleaning the scum off the shower. I'd put them off for as long as possible but fuelled by frustration I'd caved.

I wasn't a messy person, but I also didn't see much point in keeping the flat spotless when no one ever came to visit. Correction, if no one was ever allowed to visit. Still, there was only a certain level of filth I could cope with. Even before my Book Boy obsession, I'd known I'd reached my limit a few days ago.

After a dull morning of distractions, I was glad to be heading into work for the evening shift. I was the first one in, and I was pleased to see whoever had been working during the day had cleared up at the end.

I nodded to the band setting up on the stage at the other end. They were regulars here, playing rock covers every first Saturday of the month.

"How's tricks, Anna?" Kieran, the guitarist, called as he tested the tuning. He was exactly what a girl like me should like. Tattoos decorated every inch of his arms, and his hair had that messy quality that looked like he hardly tried. Despite the fact he did, a lot. With my long coffee-coloured hair, pale skin, and skinny jeans, I looked like most the groupies who clamoured around him. The difference was that their darkness was just superficial, mine was inherent. On the few occasions we'd fooled around, I think he'd caught a glimpse of what lay below the surface, and he'd realised it was more than he could handle. I didn't blame him when he ended things.

"Not bad," I replied as I grabbed five craft ales from the fridge and brought them over. "What's on the setlist tonight?"

"The usual, open with Kings of Leon, end with Highway to Hell," Kieran replied. The others always seemed nervous around me.

I dished out the beers. "Any orders for half time?"

"Just whatever you've got on tap."

"No problem," I said as I left to get on with setting up.

"Thanks, Belles," Kieran called without thinking, and I halted. Turning slowly to give him a cool glare.

"Sorry, I mean Anna." He cleared his throat and took a gulp from the bottle.