52. Trouble at the border

Chapter 52.
Trouble at the border.

The two riders slipped out of Seonmoon, passing quietly through the capital, most citizens not yet awake to see them go. As they passed outside the entrance gate, Seon-woo gave Dan-se a curt nod and kicked his heels into his horse, pressing it into a determined gallop. His partner followed suit and before long they were miles into the Silla countryside and headed for one of the farthest borders.

The Sun was up in the sky above the forest as they reached a creek, halting for a mid-morning breakfast. "Make sure to refill your water," Seon-woo instructed, before downing a long sip from his own waterskin. At his side, Dan-se nodded in silent assent, their teamwork and trust built to a level that didn't always need words. After another few moments of quiet eating, Seon-woo sighed loudly. Dan-se glanced once past them as he said, "it's stupid to go on like this. Just call him out."

"You're right," Seon-woo nodded and leaned back on the grass to call over his shoulder, "hiya! If you're going to follow us all the way to the border, just come out and ride with us!"

"Is that how you address your king? Hiya?!" Jinheung appeared from a little way away, where the tree cover had kept him mostly out of sight until now. He was dressed similarly to them in his old Hwarang uniform, hiding his true status.

With a scoff, Seon-woo threw a small orange at him which, impressively, he managed to catch from the saddle. "We're outside the capital, Your Majesty, and in my home now. Just because you ascended the throne, you shouldn't expect anything different from me," he attached the formal endings on at the end of his words with light mocking. The King looked highly unimpressed before shrugging and joining them.

"Your Majesty," Dan-se began with proper reverence, "why are you actually here, though?" Jinheung looked thoughtful, his eyes peering far out past the creek. "You must not know how boring it gets in that throne room," he replied offhandedly.

Dan-se's brow furrowed and Seon-woo snorted. He knew a cover lie when he heard one. "Let's get going, then," he suggested and the three rode off again, together this time.

The ride seemed to stretch for ages and the trees began to thin out somewhat into more farmland and soon they were passing small farming communities tending to their crops. They didn't have time to slow down if they wanted to reach the border with some daylight left. The sparse collections of farmhouses started to condense into more until the beginnings of a larger village formed.

The trio slowed to ride cautiously into the town, not making a lot of eye contact but observing, nonetheless. Seon-woo signaled to Dan-se and spoke to him lowly and the stoic Hwarang rode slightly ahead. Jinheung caught up to Seon-woo and the General knowingly informed, "I sent him on to see how far through here to the border, and if he can get an idea of where we can stay tonight."

They stopped at a well up ahead and waited while the horses got a drink. The King looked around discreetly. "Shouldn't there be more children in a place like this?"

"Something isn't right here," Seon-woo agreed, "there should be children and dogs and women... there should be people."

Dan-se returned. "The border is just beyond the edge of town, due South. And the reason this place is so horribly depressing is right there as well."