Chapter 1 "Six Months Later"

Present

I silently watched as Korra raced Jinora, Ikki, and Meelo. I saw Korra's eyes start to glow and then she surpassed Ikki and won.

"The Avatar is the winner!" Bumi yelled as he jumped up from his spot.

"No fair! You can't go into the Avatar State to win!" Ikki snapped as she glared at Korra.

I watched as Korra stuck her tongue out and blew a raspberry at Ikki, who was glaring at her.

"You did what!?" A voice snapped.

I looked up and held back a laugh as I saw Tenzin walking towards Korra.

"The Avatar State is not to be used as a booster rocket! You are toying with a dangerous power that you obviously do not appreciate!"

"It's the Avatar State and I'm the Avatar. Who appreciates it more than me?" Korra asked with a smile.

"Clearly you need more training to grasp the depths of your spiritual connections, not to mention that you're still a long way from mastering airbending.

"I have mastered airbending!" Korra exclaimed before she started to air bend.

"See? Mastered." Korra said happily.

"Looks pretty good to me." Bumi said as he walked up to them.

"Is it too late for you to unretire from the United Forces?" Tenzin asked with a groan.

"The paperwork's gone through, little brother. From now on, it's 24/7 Bumi time!" Bumi said as he pinched Tenzin's cheeks.

"You've mastered Korra style airbending, now you need to master real airbending. Hopefully our visit to all the air temples will give you the inspiration you need to look more deeply into your studies."

The kids started to argue and I shook my head and stood up.

"I think I hear Pema calling my name." I said as I turned and walked away.

I walked for a little bit before stopping and smiling as I saw Bolin.

"Kari!" Bolin yelled as he ran and hugged me.

"Can't breath!" I gasped out.

"Sorry." He said as he let go of me.

"How are you?" I asked as he moved back.

"Good, So ready to hang out?" He asked as he sent me a smile.

I nodded my head and he wrapped an arm around my waist and led me away. We walked through the streets and I smiled softly as Bolin kept an arm around me.

"So how are you?" Bolin asked softly.

"I'm good... great actually. Finally starting to feel normal again." I said softly.

"That's good. Have you talked to your dad?"

"No, my step mother sent me a letter, but... that's the last I heard from them." I explained..

"I'm sure they will come around. How are you sleeping?" He asked as he turned his head to look at me.

I bit my lip and crossed my arms over my chest. I knew I couldn't lie to Bolin and that I shouldn't, but a part of me wanted.

"I get about maybe three hours in." I lied as I looked away from him.

I actually don't remember the last time I got an hours sleep. I wake up almost every night from nightmares of Amon.

"Kari..."

"I keep seeing him... and that stupid collar. I keep feeling trapped and... alone." I said as I let out a sigh.

Bolin stopped walking and turned me to look at him. He gently took my hands in his and sent me a small smile. He moved our hands to his heart and kept them there for a second.

"He's gone... you are safe here with me and as long as my heart is beating... no one will ever hurt you again." He said softly.

"Bo... thank you." I said as I smiled up at him.

He sent me a smile and leaned down and gently kissed my forehead.

"And as for that collar, you will never see it again. I promise." Bolin said as he pulled me into a hug.

I nodded my head and wrapped my arms around his waist and breathed in his scent.

It was soon time for me to go back to the temple and I let out a small breath of air as I walked through the streets toward the temple.

"You think I'm actually gone." A voice whispered.

I kept walking until I was stopped by a sharp pain in my chest.

"I'm still here."

I quickly turned and looked around. I gasped for air as I looked for the voice. When I saw no one, I let out a sigh of relief and turned around.

"Surprise." Amon said as I came face to face with him.

I let out a gasp and fell to the ground. He walked towards me and I crawled away from him.

"You can't be here." I whispered as I backed away from him.

My back hit the wall and tears streamed down my face.

"No matter how fast you run... I will always find you." He said as he pulled out a collar.

"No!" I screamed as I shot air at him.

The air hit a wall and I gasped for air as I saw I was alone. I looked around and quickly covered my face.

"Hey! You there! Watch the bending! You could of hurt someone!" A voice yelled.

My head shot up and my eyes went wide as I saw Mako running towards me. He stopped and his eyes went wide upon seeing my shaking form.

"Kari? Are you okay?" Mako asked as he crouched down.

I shook my head no and he pulled me into a hug. I let out a sob ad I latched onto him.