-19-

Astraea Grey

"Astraea you better not" Colton yelled at his pressed his fingers harshly on the buttons of his controller. Not listening I too pressed on my controller and aimed to shoot my brother. "That's it" He pushed me off the bed. I yelped as my face came in contact with the hard wood floor. The white controller slipped out of my hands. I sat up and looked at the screen. Colton shot me and won the match.

"You cheater" I seethed out as I pushed myself off the floor and glared at my brother who was just smirking and acting innocently.

"I don't know what you're talking about" He smiled at me as he placed the controller down "I won fair and square".

I rolled my eyes a smile playing on my lips "I would've won if you hadn't pushed me off your bed" I walked over and sat down on his bed, sinking a little bit in the process. "So who are you taking to the homecoming dance". I tucked my leg under my thigh looking at my brother who was looking down at the hard wood floor. His brows met each other in the middle as he contempt on what he was going to say to the question I had just blurted out.

"I don't know" He shrugged his shoulders and ran his hand through his messy blond curly hair.

"How about Rebecca" I nudged him in the waist. "I'm sure she'll love to go with you".

Colton turned his head towards me. "No she'll rather go with you" he said slowly before restarting another game.

"Oh, uh maybe Riley" I offered remembering that they were talking at one point.

He scrunched his nose up "No she was too busy wanting to be with me for the popularity" As the words slipped out his mouth, it made my blood boil. Why did every girl feel the need to mess with my brother?   "But it's whatever. What about you, I'm sure you're happy to go this year."

"Uh I-I don't know" I stuttered as I looked at his TV.

'What do you mean you don't know. I'm pretty sure your boyfriend is taking you". He arched a brow as he looked at me.

I rubbed my lips, avoiding eye contact. "I need to tell you something"

"Don't tell me your pregnant because I don't want to be an uncle" He blurted out cutting me off from saying anything. I fought the urge to laugh.

"No-"

"Are you cheating on Hayden because if so I'm suddenly deaf and didn't hear anything". He covered his ears and shook his head like a five year-old.

I clamped my hand over his mouth. "Would you shut it" He nodded his head and I removed my hand from his mouth "I'm not actually dating Hayden." I blurted out. I felt a ton of weight get removed from my shoulders. I hadn't realized that holding something like that from my brother or even family felt like such a burden. 

Colton's eyes widened. "We're pretending so he can make Hazel jealous and get her back. I hadn't realize how hard this would be". I truthfully told.

"Wow" Colton breathed out "Why are you so nice" He spat out and looked at me. "Just because he's doesn't feel the same way, you should make it known that you're hurting. I love you sis, but that was a pretty dumb move on your end." He stood up. "I'm going to take a shower" He walked off and grabbed his things.

I stood up and walked into my room. I too needed a shower to cool off and clear my thoughts.

~*~

I stepped out the shower, tightly wrapping the cotton towel around my body. A hot mass of steam clouded the bathroom. I wiped the clouded mirror and noticed my body was a bright red. I tended to take long and hot showers whenever I needed to clear my head.

Feeling like I was suffocating in my own bathroom I walked back into my room. A breeze rushed through my room, goosebumps filled my body. I frowned as I noticed my curtains flowing around. Since when did I leave my window open?! 

My wet feet padded against my floor as I walked over to my window, closing it.

"Rae what-oh put some clothes on" I turned around almost tripping on my own two wet feet. Hayden walked into my room holding a bag of cookies. I let out a scream before Hayden dropped the cookies and ran over to me putting his hand over my mouth. "Be quiet. Your mom doesn't know I'm here".

A knock stopped me from biting Hayden and question this creep on why he was in my room. "Astraea I heard you scream is everything okay" My mom's voice questioned from the other side of the door as she fiddled with my door knob.

I glared at Hayden who removed his hand from my mouth, his turned his head avoiding to look anywhere but at me. "Yea, just stubbed my toe" I called out walked over to my dresser and grabbed anything.

"Are you okay?"

"Yup" I heard my mom feet retreat from my door. "What the hell are you doing here" I seethed out as I grabbed a random crew-neck. Remembering that I was barely clothed I back tracked into my bathroom slipping into a pair of cotton shorts and a black Champion crew-neck. I walked back into my room for the second time to see Hayden sitting at my desk looking through some papers

"Hayden" He jumped at my voice and turned around. "What are you doing here" I walked over to my desk eyeing what he was looking at. Thank God he didn't go into the draw.

He looked at me, rubbing his chin "You avoided me all week" He arched a brow.

"I've been busy" I turned around my hair swirling around and I walked over to my bed, sitting down. Hayden remained seated by my desk. "No matter how many times I watch Vampire Dairies, I still manage to cry" I tucked my feet under my thigh.

"At school?"

"I've been busy with student council things." I shrugged my shoulders "I have to plan a dance you know." I paused remembering something. "Why was my window open"

"I snuck in. Your mom is home and if she saw me here she'll throw a fit and call my mom." He ran his hands through his hair before standing up and walking over to me, sitting beside me. "I need to ask you something" 

I held a finger up "I need to tell you something too" He arched a brow silently telling me to go on. "I think we should end this pretending stunt." I paused trying to come a with a valid excuse. "I cant keep lying to my parents about this" I pointed between Hayden and myself. "Both of our families are happy for something that isn't true and I just feel bad for messing with them" I lied straight through my teeth and mentally gave myself a pat on the back for coming up with it on the spot.

"What?!" Hayden grabbed my hands that were placed on my thighs. "You want to end this" He sounded hurt and looked like he couldn't comprehend what I had just said.

I nodded my head "Yea, plus I feel like if you want Hazel all you have to do is tell her and she'll jump right into your hands". Hayden removed his hands as I said Hazel's name. "I think it's best if we remain friends and just forget about this" It hurt saying it out loud but it needed to be said. He didn't love me and I couldn't be trailing behind him like a lost puppy.

He looked one final time at me before standing up and walking over to the window. He had one foot out the window "Astraea" I perked my head up and looked at him. He looked sad and hurt all at once. "I wasn't pretending" He murmured but loud enough for me to hear. He jumped out the window.

'What?!" I sprang up from me bed, walking over to the window already seeing his had sped off in his car. A tear feel down my cheek. What have I done?