123

"The Itaewon lead was a bust. They found no trace of Wayv at any of the hotspots we check for rival gang activity. Should I instruct S. Coups to have his men start canvasing the surrounding area?" Taeyong updated his boss as they wandered the estate.

"No need. Have them return to Neozone to await further instructions. Wayv's aware we're looking for them, so they know to cover their tracks."

Jaehyun was visibly frustrated at the lack of any significant breakthroughs in the search for Wayv, his face noticeably thinner than it was just a few days ago.

"We'll just have to wait until they come for the girl."

"Jae?" Taeyong quirked.

"Yes? What is it?"

"What's that noise?"

The two men halted their conversation to focus on the sounds of laughter coming from the kitchen.

"Should we go see what they're doing? Taking your mind off everything for a bit might make you feel better," Taeyong suggested.

"It's probably just Jaemin and Jeno flirting with each other. I can't for the life of me understand how they still insist on keeping their relationship a secret from me. I've never once done anything to give them the idea that I'd hold any disdain for their choices as long as they continued to fulfill their duties and besides, only an idiot would think those two were straight."

Jaehyun noticed the defeated look on his friend/colleague's previously impassive face.

Comprehending the other man's disappointment, Jaehyun relaxed slightly, becoming conscious of how much stress the two have them had been, discussion further plans of actions while holed up in his office since the break of dawn.

"Perhaps I should go in to check with in Jeno, see if there are any issues with... well, anything there might be issues with," He appeased, subtly abandoning his strict facade.

Taeyong's face lit up. His excitement most evident in his already anime-like eyes which now seemed to have doubled in size.

<><><>

My eyes continued to linger on the sandy brown-haired man who sat almost directly across from me. I knew that it was crazy to even entertain the idea of having a crush of someone who worked for the leader of NCT despite him not actually being a member of the gang itself, but it had been a crazy past few days and who could blame me for being drawn to such a gentle yet strong and protective looking hottie.

"Y/N?" He asked.

Watching the pair of lips, I had been hungerly gawking at, suddenly mouth the syllables of my name immediately allowed me to snap out of whatever entranced state I had been in for the last several moments and enter into one filled with embarrassment. My eyes quickly retreated down to look at my half empty plate, hoping he hadn't noticed my staring just to remember that he was actively trying to receive my attention.

I looked back up at him.

"Yes?"

"You have a piece of rice stuck to your face," Jeno said matter of factly.

My cheeks started to burn from the awkwardness. I started bringing my hand to my face when Yuta beat me to it.

I jolted away, withdrawing from the man's touch. Ready to berate to the man for the abrupt intrusion, I turned in time to see him bring the speck of rice to his lips with a mischievous grin. I scoffed, unamused by his playful antics, while he merely continued to smirk. I glared at him briefly taking notice of his purple locks. His hair was always a dark purple similar to that of a plum, but under the bright kitchen lights it took on an especially violaceous hue. The intensity of the color and how it was almost hypnotic in a way led me to wonder if the devil might be more accurately depicted wearing violet than he would his usual scarlet.

Yuta's sly smile grew into a Chesire smile as he saw my anger morph into mesmerism. My gaze retreated from his, my cheeks noticeably redder than before,

"Dude, that was gross," Mark commented, bringing my attention back to the three other men at the table.

Yuta started laughing and I glanced at Jaemin and Jeno who glanced at each other and then at you like two schoolgirls ready to hear all the hot gossip after seeing the school's bad boy flirting with their friend.

Great, now they think something's going on with Mr. Hits-on-anything-with-a-pulse over here.

I did everything to stop from groaning, but I guess it must not have been enough to hide my annoyance as for the first time, everyone at the table was laughing except for Mark who had a perplexed look on his face. 

"Oh, how nice!"

We all turned in our chairs to find the source of the sudden voice.