XXIV

"Have you ever been outside of the city?" Harry asks, my body lying to face his. We've just been talking, asking each other questions on and off since dinner. I've allowed him to stay, but I didn't explicitly invite him to. It's just never been brought up for him to leave.

"My dad had a cabin. He used to take me to the lake, just outside, before he..." I trail off, not wanting to discuss the topic much further. He's aware of what happened; I don't need to bring it up.

"Did you like it there?" he asks, my lips pressing together. I recall the good memories. Jumping off the peer, trying to see how long I could hold my breath, and my dad attempting to teach me how to fish all are brought to the surface of my mind.

"I did," I tell him, my eyes looking into his. We've since moved onto my bed. It started in the kitchen, then the floor of my room, then my ass fell asleep so I moved up to my bed. He's since followed.

"I could take you there sometime," he suggests, my shoulders shrugging. I don't like the idea of going to the lake with Harry. It might end up with me shoving him underwater and ditching him while he's down.

"I'm not the greatest of swimmers. I never actually learned so we stayed in the shallow area," I explain, his head nodding. He explains he learned when he was young, but it was at his neighbor's pool. He wasn't allowed over after fate struck.

"Have you ever been out of the city?" I ask, his head nodding.

"I've only been out on my bike. When the weather's nice, I'll take the motorcycle out and drive it around the countryside. I've never stopped anywhere, really. Never felt the need to," he explains, my eyes looking down to see his hand resting on his stomach. Harry has been on his back, one arm propping up his head while the other rests over his torso.

"Where did you meet Mitch and Nick?" I wonder, his head turning to look at me.

"Met Nick after I fixed his car. He bribed me with weed as payment, the fucker," he smiles, making me laugh. "Then I met Mitch in high school. Then we all started hanging out. When Mitch met his soulmate, he was an absolute sap and we all gave him shit for it. He doesn't bring her around us much because he is protective over her."

"So he's like you?" I say, not really knowing what I mean by it. I've caught onto Harry's possessive behavior with me, but it's turned out to be more protective in nature than possessive.

"I guess you could say that," he grins, making me smile as well. "But we like doing the same shit, like smoking and getting high, so I don't mind bringing you around. It's when you show up at the bars and try leaving with anyone other than me or your friends, that's when I'm pissed."

I can't help but laugh at the truth. At least he can admit it.

As I move to sit up, Harry follows and I reach for the pack of cigarettes on the floor. I offer him one and he accepts, the two of us lighting it. I bring the tray over for the ashes.

"When are you coming to the bar next?" he asks, my shoulders shrugging. It's not usually me who wants to go; it's forced upon me.

"Well, I'm off this Friday so I kind of want to take you," he tells me, my lips pursing. It's yet again another invitation to be with him as if it's a date.

"It's not a date," he continues, almost as if he read my mind.

"Then what the fuck is it, Harry?" I ask, his arms shrugging to signal he doesn't know. Then he tells me it can be whatever I want it to be.

"Two people getting drinks together, perhaps. In a non-sexual way," he nearly laughs, making me roll my eyes. But the smile on my face defies me.

"Lord knows what happens when you get crossed though," Harry teases, making me kick him.

"You're a fucking pig," I groan, but I smile as I put the cigarette in my mouth when his laugh sounds through the room. I get off the bed and search for a shirt to wear to bed, settling for one on my chair.

I shove the cigarette butt on the tray and I begin to lift my shirt, causing Harry to smirk at me.

"What?" I ask, pulling it off my body. I'm wearing a sports bra beneath; nothing to really feel worried about him seeing.

"Nothing. Haven't seen this view before," he says, my eyes looking down. All of his tattoos show on my skin, and I know I never have given him the chance to see them before.

"Here," I say, holding my arms out and turning in a circle. "All are your fault."

"They look good on you, Lina," he tells me, my eyes looking into his. He has a genuine smile on his face, green eyes light as he looks at me. My arms just pull the shirt on over my head and he sits up.

"Shit, I should probably go," Harry tells me, standing up from the bed. I didn't think he'd actually leave on his own. He stands in front of me and I look up at him, his broad stature causing him to look nearly twice my size.

"I'll see you later," I tell him, causing him to smile. I don't know why the fuck I just said that; the thought of seeing him has never been appealing.

I'm throwing myself for a fucking loop, now. Not just him.

"Sounds good, baby," he grins, taking a step towards the door. I follow him so I can lock the door behind him.

My heart is pounding in my chest for some unknown reason, Harry turning to look at me.

"Would you want to go to the bar Friday?" he asks, leaning down to lace up his boots. My lower lip is taken between my teeth, pondering the question. Either I go with him or somehow, I'll end up there anyways. No matter the option, I'm still at the bar with Harry.

"Yeah, I'll go with you," I tell him, his body standing tall again. His green eyes lock with mine and I send him a soft smile. I'm unable to mask the fact that he's starting to have an effect on me. As he should, I hear the voice inside my head speak. Afterall, he is my soulmate and should be the one I'm destined to be with.

"Then I'll come pick you up," Harry smiles, setting his finger beneath my chin. I'm unsure of what the gesture was supposed to be. But it lingers, my eyes not looking away from him.

Then his eyes flicker between my eyes and my lips. There is no rejection, but I allow him the move. Harry's eyes look int mine once more before he leans his head down, pressing a soft kiss to my lips.

Just as quickly, he pulls away. I watch him smile at me, then he walks out of the apartment. My hand closes the door and I lean back against it, bringing my hand to my face.

"What the fuck," I groan to myself, locking the door and damn near throwing myself onto the bed. I sulk in what I'm feeling and I smoke another cigarette, kicking myself in the ass for developing feelings for a boy I grew up telling myself I would hate.