-20-

Astraea Grey

"Astraea, mom brought some cupcakes" Colton's voice dropped as he saw me sitting down on the floor my knees brought to my chest and tears streaming down my face like a river. Colton placed the cupcakes on my desk and walked over to me. "What happened?" He wrapped his arms over my fragile body.

"H-he said he wasn't pretending" I hiccupped wiping my tears. 

"That's good right." He cheered. "You guys feel the same way about each other" The cheeriness in his voice died down as he didn't see me cheer or even a smile appear on my face.

"I told him we should end whatever we had. And proceeded to say we should be friends and forget about this, that he should get Hazel" I shook my head and covered my face with my hands muffling my cries. How could I be so dumb. I hadn't seen the signs, hell I really thought this was to get back at Hazel.

Colton's arms held me tighter. I leaned my head on his shoulder and he placed his chin on top of my head. "Shh. please don't cry. Everything's going to be okay, I'm right here".

I nodded my head and closed my eyes. Darkness taking over as Colton slowly rocked me and hummed lightly.

~*~

I rubbed my eyes tiredly, sitting up. I squinted at the sudden brightness in my room. My curtains were still open from last night. I slipped out of my bed and closed my damn curtains it was way to bright out. Why couldn't it have been a gloomy day. Instead of a sunny day, mocking me for my stupidity. 

I walked into my bathroom and began brushing my teeth. I looked at myself in the mirror and winced at myself. My hair was still in a bun but was at the base of my head, my eyes were puffy and red. Dried tear marks showed on my cheeks. I blew a air of breath and washed my face, and headed downstairs towards the kitchen since my stomach was crying for food.

"HI" I spoke out as I saw my parents and brother sitting around the marble island. My parents were both drinking coffee and Colton was eating an apple. Seeing that my mom didn't make breakfast today I went to the cabinet grabbing a box of cereal.

"Morning" Colton was the first to speak. Ignoring the glances my parents gave each other as I walked past them sitting beside Colton. I looked at my parents who were silently talking to each other and giving each other a look.

"Astraea are you okay?" My mom questioned as I stuck a spoonful of cereal into my mouth. I nodded my head. "Oh my poor baby is heartbroken" I froze as my mom wrapped her arms around me. I wouldn't say heartbroken. I mean my crush said he wasn't pretending when we were 'dating' so it was a positive thing. 

But I remembered that they were told the relationship was real. "Mom I'm fine. How did you find out anyway". I looked over at Colton who just shook his head signaling it wasn't him.

"Lucrecia called me and told me Hayden came home acting up, drunk and was telling her how you guys ended everything".  My mom explained as she still had her arms around my body.

"Uh we just decided to be friends" I said before stuffing another spoon in my mouth.

"See Aelin, she's fine. My baby would never let a boy get to her" My dad spoke out as he placed his coffee down. I looked at him and raise a brow. I wasn't too sure about that comment.

My mom pulled away from the hug, checking her watch on her left arm. "I need to get to the bakery. Colton you're coming"

"What?! Why cant she go" He pointed at me with his apple.

"Because she's heartbroken" I held my hand to my mouth and looked over at my dad who smiled and brought his cup of coffee to his lips.

"I'm heartbroken too" He grumbled with before biting into his apple. Everyone waited as he swallowed his apple "You're taking me away from my baby Malia"

"Who the hell is Malia?" My dad questioned leaning over the counter, suddenly intrigued that his son might have a girlfriend, which meant he'll be out the house more often.

"My x-box" He said in a 'duh' tone.

I choked on my god damn cereal "You named your x-box."

"Yea who doesn't" He furrowed his eyebrows. 

Oh, I don't know. Maybe a sane person. I thought to myself not wanting to say it out loud and be punished by being dragged to the bakery. Today was Saturday and it was usually packed.

My mom chuckled "Your dad use to name all his things too" My dad shot my mom a glare silently telling her to stop. "There was a Gracey which was his football."

"I'm leaving" My dad turned around and left the kitchen with his cheeks red from embarrassed.

"Yes, us too" My mom clamped her tiny hand on my brothers arm and pulled him off the chair. "Bye sweetie" She placed a kiss on my head and pulled my brother out of the kitchen who happened to be arguing with her.

"Mom I'll burn the bakery down and that's a promise" Colton yelled as she pulled him through the door. I didn't get to hear what she had to say as the door slammed shut.

"Astraea, call me or your mom if anything. You can have a couple of friends over, just don't break anything or accidently hurt yourself". My dad told me as he threw his black coat on over his black suit. I nodded my head and gave him a thumbs up. "Bye love you, I'll be home later."

"Love you too" I spoke out and milk slipped out. I gave him a smile as he chuckled and whipped my chin.

Looks like I'm gonna be home alone.