Chapter 77 - Now or Never

You and all of the other kids were walking towards the boat. It was easy to spot because of all the spotlights they were using. A lone walker was killed, which means it was the lucky one who guts we are going to use.

Ruby: Wow. We're really doing this, huh?

Clementine: Yep. Me, Y/N, AJ and Louis are sneaking on board, so only us needs to cover ourselves up.

Ruby: So we're just waiting for your walker friend? When do you think--

AJ: He's here!

Everyone turns around.

Ruby: Oh, good lord!

James: Um... hey...

Clementine: Everyone, this is James.

AJ: He's my friend.

Tenn: Well, he certainly is uh...

Willy: Wow! He's so cool! Can I wear your mask? How do you get the skin like that?

James: I... I uh... Clementine? Y/N?

Y/N: Willy, lay off of him. Now's not the time for this.

Willy: Right. Sorry.

James: Clementine? Y/N? Can I talk to you two, alone?

Clementine: Good idea. Everyone hold tight.

Y/N: And keep your heads down.

You three walked away from everyone.

James: The walkers are on their way. The noise from the boat'll draw them to it.

Y/N: And we blend in and save our friends.

James: Your friends... all those kids... they are different, open-minded, accepting. Maybe one day... you'll both be the same.

He takes off his mask.

James: Listen. The reason I wanted to talk to you both alone is... well, it's about AJ.

Clementine: What about him?

James: The Whisperers... they were my family... when I was young. The things I witnessed. Death and suffering. I soon became that. I caused those things. I had a good friend, and when he showed weakness... I slit his throat.

You both looked at him in shocked.

Y/N: What are you getting at?

James: I'm worried that AJ will start killing and that he'll do just so he can. He won't think twice about it... just do it. Just, please make sure he doesn't kill again. It breaks something inside of you.

You both stay silent, unsure of how to respond.

James: Just consider it, that's all I ask.

The walkers start showing up.

James: It looks like the walkers are here. We'll wait a little longer, and I'll lead you until you reach the boat. After that. It's all up to you.

You both walked back to the kids.

Clementine: Alright. He's good to go. The walkers are closing in.

Y/N: Ruby, you got those horses. Tenn and Willy, take care of those supplies.

Louis: And I got the bomb.

Willy: You need to put it in the boiler. Look for a door on the bottom with ash and all that. Put the bomb in there.

Clementine: Guess we'll see each other on the other side.

AJ: I'll cut the walker open.

Y/N: I'll help.