26

Kegan had been living in the Blood Moon pack for a month and a half when he jolted awake in the middle of the night, Jade's voice echoing in his head.

"Get up! Now!" Jade ordered, making Kegan sit up, groggily pulling away from Calix's warm embrace. "Why are you just lying there?! Go!"

"What're you going on about?" Kegan asked, wanting nothing more than to cuddle back up with Calix and fall back asleep.

Jade growled and sighed in irritation. "Astra's wolf contacted me! She's going into labor and Kai is on patrol tonight so she's not going to be back right away!" he exclaimed, frantic and panicked that their pack mate could be in danger.

Kegan's next heat was a few weeks away, and he and Calix decided they would mate during the event. Since they weren't mated, Kegan couldn't use the pack link yet and had to rely on Jade or stay close to a pack mate.

As he scrambled out of bed, Calix woke up from the movement. "What's going on?" he asked, not used to being woken up randomly.

"Astra's in labor and Kai's on patrol! Why'd you put her on patrol so close to Astra's due date?!" Kegan snarled, grabbing his mate's hand and running up to their friends' room.

Calix blinked the sleep from his eyes and followed Kegan. "She asked to be on patrol because she hasn't done it for a while and felt like she wasn't being helpful," he responded.

Kegan just growled before forcing himself to calm down and opening the door to Astra's room. His heart broke at the sight of Astra crying and grabbing he stomach, clearly confused and terrified.

"Kai?" she asked weakly as the pair entered her room.

"No, but she's on her way," Kegan promised, walking to her side and peering at her stomach. "Calix, send for the pack doctor please."

"Already did," Calix said, standing beside Kegan before kneeling down and receiving a confused look from his mate. "Unless you're her mate you should kneel down by her side. It feels less threatening and is more calming."

Kegan obeyed, grabbing Astra's hand. "Talk to me, Astra. Are you okay?" he asked, hoping she wasn't in any terrible pain.

Astra let out a weak sob, looking toward the door. "I need Kai," she cried, trying to move but stopping when Calix growled.

"She's on her way but you can't move," Calix said firmly, attempting to soothe her at the same time. "You don't want to hurt the pups."

Astra instantly nodded, going still. "I'm sorry," she murmured, rubbing her stomach and talking to her pups. "You're going to be here soon."

Kegan continued to coo soothing words until the door burst open and Kai and the pack doctor sprinted in. As soon as she saw Calix she snarled at him, but Kegan was even more surprised when Calix simply stood up and pulled Kegan from the room.

With as close as Kai and Calix were, Calix never let her growl at him without challenging her back. It created a lot of stress for Kegan and Astra, but their Alphas always ended by Kai rolling her eyes and showing her neck before leaving Calix alone.

"Why didn't you-"

Calix cut Kegan off. "A smart Alpha understands when they shouldn't growl. I was near her mate who's in labor, so the growling is justified. I'm not going to get mad at Kai for being protective, especially when I'd react the same way in that situation," he said, climbing back into their bed and pulling Kegan to his chest. "That's why we prefer Betas and Omegas as doctors. They're less threatening to an Alpha and can keep the pregnant mate calm."

Kegan hummed and pressed his nose into Calix's neck to take in his scent. "I'm not tired now," he mumbled, even though he could see that Calix was tired.

Even though he wanted to sleep, Calix sat back up and yawned. "Let's go on a run?" he suggested, knowing that the field that he and Kegan had ran in when they first shifted together had an amazing view of the sunrise.

"Will Zakai be able to do it without falling asleep?" Kegan teased, knowing that Calix and his wolf were not morning people.

"He can sleep when we get where we're going," Calix grumbled, making Kegan giggle and follow him out of the pack house. "We'll just have an off sleep schedule for a few days."

Kegan smiled as they walked to the forest. "Where are we going?" he asked like an over-excited child.

"To watch the sunrise. It's beautiful from the field."

That was the last thing Calix said before he stripped off his clothes and shifted, running off and waiting for Kegan to follow with his tongue hanging out of his mouth like a pup.

Kegan smiled at how the future Alpha wolf of the pack acted like a pup, his heart swelling in appreciation for his wonderful mate. He followed suit and stripped his clothes and shifted, running at the bigger wolf and jumping on him, hoping to tackle him to the ground, but Calix barely moved.

Kegan whimpered and looked down at his paws, only to growl when Calix pulled on his ear. He looked up to see the giant wolf run off, encouraging the smaller to follow.

Calix howled loudly, despite it being four in the morning, letting all of the other wolves who could possibly be out that he was there. He then looked at his mate who was running beside him, looking gleeful.

Calix nudged him as they ran, barking jovially and trying to trip the smaller wolf.

Kegan just growled and pushed back, but it didn't do anything. He eventually dove toward Calix's leg and made the Alpha fall before tackling him and licking his muzzle.

Calix didn't growl or try to tackle him; he just laid on the ground and let Kegan lick at him and mess with his fur. Eventually he felt Kegan lick at his teeth, which was a common sign from pups when they were shifted that they were hungry, but it was still common between Alpha and Omega pairs.

Calix quickly ushered Kegan toward the field where they usually laid and pushed the smaller wolf over. He nuzzled Kegan's neck before making eye contact, his gaze showing that he wanted Kegan to stay where he was.

Kegan obeyed, admiring the shift from the grey sky to the warm orange and pinks on the horizon. He didn't feel scared anymore; over the past month and a half he'd gained confidence and was becoming stronger both mentally and physically, thanks to the training Tali offered him.

After twenty minutes, Kegan began to feel worried. He knew Calix could easily protect himself if he was attacked by one wolf, but what if he was attacked and outnumbered? Kegan would feel awful especially since he was the one who wanted him to catch him food.

He decided to go search once Calix had been gone for a half an hour, following the scent of his mate. Kegan was sure that Calix would want him to stay put, but Jade begged him to go search since Zakai wouldn't respond.

Kegan snuck into the woods, staying low and making sure to use the shadows to cover himself. Even though Tali was teaching him to fight, she was also teaching him stealth and how to sneak around in case he was ever captured and needed to escape.

There was no scent that matched Calix in the air, which was extremely nerve wracking for Kegan. He whimpered and was considering howling to alert his mate when he heard a snarl from ahead.

Sneaking behind a bush, Kegan saw a dark grey wolf walking toward the village of their pack. He didn't know what to do; the wolf was far too big to fight, and he didn't look rogue, so Kegan didn't know if he was alone.

Suddenly, Calix's howl broke through the air and the wolf looked around before growling and vanishing in the darker woods away from the pack.

Kegan ran toward his mate's howl and found him back in the field, a dead rabbit at his feet.

Calix seemed confused but didn't do anything but push the rabbit toward his mate and wait for him to eat it. Once Kegan did, Calix wagged his tail like a common dog and pounced on his mate joyfully.

Kegan wanted to tell Calix about what he saw, but he didn't want to interrupt the moment they were having.

It would have to wait.