one.

"izumi sora!"

the girl's head snapped up at the sound of her mother's sharp whisper, "yes, mom?"

"get off your phone at the dinner table, we have guests."

reluctantly, sora tucked her phone into the front pocket of her jean shorts, her bottom lip pouted out in just the slightest, "yes, mom." the sound of a snicker coming from across the table caused the black haired girl to turn her head, her eyes landing on the boy sitting opposite of her. what? she mouthed, her playful glare causing him to chuckle even more.

look at your phone, he pointed to his own screen, albeit discreetly since his own mother was seated next to him.

slightly pulling her phone out, she managed to catch a glimpse of the text.

from stupid kid next door: we should try to get out of here. this is boring ;p

"huening kai!"

"yes, mom!"

his mother tsked, turning to apologize to sora's mother, "i'm so sorry, mina. i thought i taught him better."

"it's okay, it looks like we've both got ill-mannered kids on our hands," mina chuckled softly as both the kids bowed their heads apologetically. "how about you two go find something else to do since this dinner seems to be boring you guys?"

"uh, is this a trap?" kai asked, his brows furrowed in confusion as he rubbed his nape awkwardly.

"it will be if you guys stay here." with that, both the teenagers jumped up from the table, "kai, don't come home too late, okay?"

"got it, mom," he smiled at her once more to assure her, before looking down at sora, "let's go."

it was only about six o'clock, and it was still fairly light outside, so the two just made their way down the street, not really sure where to go.

as they walked, sora slowly looked up at kai, who was too busy keeping his eyes ahead of himself to notice.

huening kai. my next door neighbor, and my best friend's crush. we aren't extremely close, but we've been neighbors and family friends for so long that it's hard not to be comfortable around each other.

blowing out a breath, sora shoved her hands in her pockets, turning her gaze forward. a sudden buzzing in her back pocket caused the black-haired girl to pull her phone out, seeing who was calling.

"YUNA aka BESTEST FRIEND EVER" flashed across the screen, eliciting a chuckle from sora as she was reminded of the time yuna stole her phone to name herself that. "hello?"

"how'd the dinner go? how's kai? what did he wear? did he eat enough? tell him i said hi!"

grimacing at her phone screen, sora spoke into it as she and kai neared an intersection, "hi, sora, my best friend. how are you?" changing her tone, she began fake smiling, "oh, me? i'm great. amazing. just dandy."

"blah, blah, blah. i know you're fine. now, tell kai i said hi, please and thank you!"

"goodness, your priorities need some working on," pulling the phone from her ear and putting a hand over the mic, sora turned to kai as she began to cross the street, "yuna said hi-"

"sora!" kai exclaimed, grabbing her by the wrist to pull her off the street just as a car zoomed by.

as if everything had been in slow motion, sora watched as her phone flew from her hand into the street while being pulled back onto the sidewalk into kai's arms. blinking in shock, she turned her head up to look at kai, who was already looking down at her. his lips were moving, and sora could tell he was talking to her; but she couldn't hear a thing.

she couldn't hear the honking cars, or the traffic light which continuously said, "stop." all she could hear was the drumming of her heart in her ears. and she wasn't sure if it was from the adrenaline, or because kai was holding her so close to him.

"are you okay?"

backing out of his hold, sora struggled to regain her breath, her fist hitting her chest to try and ease the pain.

"a-ah! your inhaler! did you bring it?" kai worriedly asked, his eyes focused intently on sora.

sora offered a timid nod, pulling the inhaler from her front pocket. breathing in the medicine a few times, sora felt her chest pain alleviate a bit, allowing her to breathe.

"are you alright?" kai asked once again, placing a hand on her shoulder.

sora jerked back again, beginning to laugh a bit nervously, "yeah- uh- i'm fine."

"maybe we should just head back then? you know how your mom is about your attacks."

she nodded, following after kai when he turned to walk in the direction of her house. slowly, sora found herself looking up at kai again as they walked, her heartbeat picking up.

that was how i fell for my best friend's crush. all it took was that, and i had fallen into the fiery pit called first love. how unfortunate, though, that it's only me down here.