The Market

Spot's POV

I knew that not all of them would listen to me, but if she does what I told her to do, hopefully we won't have a problem. I glance at her. But I get the feeling it won't be so easy. I turn back to them and whistle again. "Listen up! Wese gotta make 'er feel at home. Who's willin' ta give up their dinna tonight so we can make sure she has privacy?" I asked. "N-no, no! Dats okay, youse don't gotta—" "Sweetheart..." Murmurs echo throughout the room, I couldn't care less, but I knew it bugged her.

"I will be giving' up me dinna, but dat ain't gonna be enough. Anybody else?" "Sp-Spot, y-youse don't hafta, I-I can just save up for a couple a days—" I turn to her. "Are youse suggestin' day, ya don't eat for a couple a days? Is dat what I'm hearin'?" I asked. "W-well y-yeah, b-but dats okay! I-Ise done it before, i-its not a big deal." "Is youse tellin' me, dat da 'Hatten Newsies didn't make sure youse had sometin' ta wat every night?"

"Th-they didn't know that Ise was a goil, cause Jacky didn't want them ya know, s-so there w-were a couple a—" My eyes narrowed. I'm gonna kill Jacky Boy. "What was da longest ya went without food?" Her eyes widened. "Wh-what?" I don't think I'm gonna likes dis ansa. "Youse heard me." She looked around the room, hands shaking as she tried to avoid the question. I sighed. I'll get da ansa lata. I turn back to the Newsies. "Well?" I asked, growing inpatient. A few Newsies stood up and walked over to me.

She wasn't too happy about it, but she didn't fight it knowing she wouldn't win. I could tell she felt guilty. I smirked at my boys. "Thank youse to those who gave up their dinna. I know it's hard, but we all know it's a tough woild (world) out there. We gotta helps who we cans." "Thank youse all... r-really... it means a lot..." I smirk down at her a little. I look at the amount of money we got. Plus mine... we should be able to gets decent bed sheets and pillow, a curtain and maybe... I stare at her a little. Maybe some better clothes... or a means of protectin' herself...

I put the money in my pocket, "Let's go sweetheart." She follows and we head to a nearby market. "Eh, Conlon. How ya doin'?" I turn and see a Bronx Newsie. "Eh Scout." We spit shake. He nods his head at (Yn). "New recruit Spot? I thought you wasn't taken no more?" "He had good qualities, and wasn't being treated right by his old Newsboys, so I took 'im in."

"So what youse doin here Scout?" "Lookin' for youse actually. Bronx wants ta know what ya say about da Strike." "Ise gotta be honest wit ya Scout." I look down and lean on my cane, before looking back. "I'm still tryin' to decide. They seem pretty serious, but I'll see meself tommara, and Ise get back to ya, okay?" Scout nods and makes his leave. "Thanks you." I turn to her. "For what?" "For keepin' me a secret..." I smirk at her. "What? Youse thinks I'd tell the Bronx that I got a goil for a Newsie? If they knew, they'd snatch ya from me. And we can't have dat now can we? Youse mine sweetheart, and ain't no body changin' dat."

Her eyes widen and she looks down as her face dusts pink. I chuckle. "Come on sweetheart." She follows after me and we start looking for stuff. We look at some bed sheets. "Youse sure dis is what you want? We can get sometin' a little nica." I say holding some dingy white sheets. She bites her lip, and her eyes betray her as her eyes move to some sheets with small flowers on them. I put the sheets down and I walk over to them. Her eyes widened, she grabs the sleeve of my shirt. "Sp-Spot! I-it's fine, I-I dont needs anythin' nica. These ones is fine."

I smirked at her. "I told ya sweetheart, youse gonna be treated likes a queen, if ya want da nica sheets, we'll get ya da nica sheets." She looks down. "But..." I sigh. "Will it really botha ya if I get da nica sheets?" "I don't want you ta spend more money on me than ya hafta." I sigh again. "Fine, we'll get these sheets, but wese gonna get ya a good curtain, and ya can't stop me, okay sweetheart?" She bites her lip again.
".... Ise don't wanna bes a burden.." "Youse not bein' a burden sweetheart."