Chapter Twenty Six: Broken Chains

────────────────────────────
-'ˏ Margo's Pov ˎ'-

╭                                                                      ╮
Margaret Henderson's Neighborhood
Tuesday , 6:58 p.m
╰                                                                     ╯

────────────────────────────

"What are you doing?" Neil questioned in a hard flat voice. Almost as though if he used any more emotion than that his nice facade would crumble and fall. "You are suppose to be babysitting Maxine."

Billy stood there silently with his hands rigid at his sides. Taking this as a sign of disrespect Neil repeated himself in a slow and lethal manner, silently daring Billy to not answer him again.

"I'm sorry sir." Billy said with a blank face. He showed Neil no emotions but his hands were now fidgeting behind his back nervously.

"I'm sorry." I said speaking up in a soft tone. "Billy was actually helping me study for an upcoming test. He made sure Max could get home, she even left with my little brother. Sorry if that caused you any trouble." I told Neil lying straight to his face.

His body posture had softened as if he remembered I was there and had the ability to tell someone else about his actions if he messed things up. The air around the three of us was tense and thick as Neil mulled over what I had said and I hoped that I was helping Billy's situation instead of worsening it.

────────────────────────────
-'ˏ Billy's Pov ˎ'-

As soon as Margaret had finished talking I was horrified. I kept my emotions off my face as I watched Neil lean back into his seat. My heart pounded in my chest. There's no way my father would believe her and despite it not even being my lie, I would shoulder the blame for it later.

Margo quickly readjusted her backpack that was slipping off her shoulder as it was way too big for her small frame. She gave me an apologetic look before slowly turning to walk back into her house.

Please don't leave me alone with him. Please.

"Get in the goddamn car William." Neil shouted as soon as Margo's door had clicked shut. I dragged my feet on the way trying to prolong the time before we arrived home. I shut the car door behind me softly and my dad quickly sped off past a couple houses until we reached ours. Pulling the keys out of the ignition he huffed angrily and got out, gesturing for me to walk in front of him. I didn't want to go inside but I knew better than to argue with him.

Better to stay quiet and deal with it than anger him.

The door had only been closed shut for a second before Neil had me up against the wall. I slumped low into the jacket I had on in an attempt to push myself as far away from Neils fists that were currently entangled in the cuffs of the jean material.

Just keep still and this will all be over soon.

"WHAT did we talk about?"

"Respect. And responsibility." I repeated trying to keep my voice level. Susan and Max had appeared and were hovering in the living room doorway watching. They both look terrified for me as I looked anywhere but at Neil.

"Maxine come here."

She quickly walked forward making nervous eye contact with me the whole way.