Chapter Twenty-One

"We don't even ask for happiness, just a little less pain."

Stressed, I flung yet another one of my black t-shirts in the duffel bag as my heart kept thumping erratically in my rib cage

Stressed, I flung yet another one of my black t-shirts in the duffel bag as my heart kept thumping erratically in my rib cage. What does one bring to a midnight trip to New York whilst trying to evade the law? This was my first experience in delinquency, so I had no idea. A toothbrush, maybe?

I took a mental step back for a fraction of a second, enough to regain self-control and focus a bit. Things were going to be okay. Me and Taehyung, we were going to be okay. We got everything we needed – money, documents and most importantly – a destination that awaited us. Everything was going to be okay. I was finally about to leave this cavernous mansion that made me feel so confined and suffocated. I was finally going to start living my life to the fullest with someone I... profoundly cared for.

Everything else was irrelevant.

"Hey," Taehyung said in a hushed voice as I listened to his light steps as he approached. "You got everything you need?"

Yes. You.

He whispered close to my ear as his arms enveloped me from behind. I became nothing short of melting butter under the effect of his gentle voice.

"I think so," I exhaled, gliding my palms on top of his hands and letting my fingers intertwine with his.

"You're anxious. Don't be."

"Tae," I sighed, turning around while still in his embrace, and peered deeply into his warm browns. "I'm scared."

"But baby," he murmured tenderly. "There's no need to be scared because I'm right here." He tilted my head to the side so that I could place it on his shoulder. I folded myself into his side, taking in his warmth that made me feel safe, happy and even loved. Even if I didn't know for sure that it was how he felt yet.

I was finally starting to understand my feelings.

It didn't matter what my mother, the detective or anyone else had to say about us. Taehyung was what felt right to me. All I knew was that when I was around him, I was whole again – something I'd never felt in my life before that.

Up until now, I'd had this sensation of longing, yearning; like I was reaching for something I'd never obtain. Like something was missing, a puzzle piece that was crucial to my life. But not anymore. There was no void in my soul to be filled anymore.

A feeling of serenity washed over me as Taehyung's fingers weaved through my hair, massaging my scalp. Just like every time he did this, it had a calming effect on me. My eyelids fluttered closed as I basked in his soothing presence.

"We are going to be so happy, you and I," Taehyung murmured as he kept caressing me. "Once we get out of here, we'll leave everything behind."

"I like the sound of that," I sighed wistfully.