14; today is the day

[15th February XX]

"Today we are here for the case of the deaths and kidnappings of both Myoui Mina and Bae Nari." The judge stood up. "You may now all be seated."

Everyone in the room sat down, the tension high in the air.

"Minatozaki Sana, where exactly were you during the night of the kidnappings?" The lawyer from the opposite side attacked.

"I was asleep at home." Sana answered.

"Is that your only alibi? That you were asleep?"

Sana nodded, gulping air down her dry throat.

"I've been sleeping quite early for about a year now. And I was quite tired from my flight back from Japan." Sana responded, her heart racing fast with anxiety.

"Now, how close were you and Myoui Mina?"

"She was my best friend. I wouldn't have killed my best friend." Sana gritted through her teeth. "This is stupid, you have no proof that I killed her."

"We may not have physical evidence, but we sure have audio and text messages to prove our case."

"What?"

"You left the café with Bae Nari on the 12th of February, god knows why." The interrogator leaned over Sana's desk. "She went to her apartment, but suddenly disappeared between the hours of 9-11pm. Where were you?"

"Asleep."

"Ha. Our next point of evidence is the text message that was sent to you the morning after. It reads 'Sana, you traitor. How could you do this to me?' What do you have to say about that?"

"I didn't see the text until 8am the next morning. I haven't talked to Mina in two years, why would I even think about killing her?"

"Maybe it was the fact that you felt mad, anger problems."

"I don't have anger problems. But I have a problem with you leaning over my desk."

"See." The interrogator turned to the judge. "This shows signs of poor anger management, and the fact that it is possible that she murdered Bae Nari too, is high."

"I didn't kill anyone. Nari was one of my friends."

"But didn't she date your ex, Chou Tzuyu?"

Sana nodded and rolled her eyes. "Why would I kill Nari for dating my ex? I asked Nari to date her."

The whole audience gasped in shock, especially Chaeyoung, Jeongyeon and Nayeon.

"She asked Nari to date Tzuyu?" Chaeyoung whispered in Nayeon's ear. Nayeon only gulped as she secretly gripped onto Jeongyeon's hand.

"But let's make a little 'scenario', you know?"

Sana raised her eyebrow. "Go ahead."

"You came back, and wanted to get back with Tzuyu. However, she told you she wanted to stay with Nari, and you felt so angry that you went to talk with Nari. However, instead of talking, you used all your bottled up anger to attack her, stabbing her several times, which led to her eventual death-"

"I DIDN'T DO ANY OF THAT!" Sana screeched. "I don't want Tzuyu back.

And even if I did, I know she wouldn't want me back, not after what I did to her."

The interrogator scoffed. "And what exactly did you do to her?"

Sana glared at the man. "It's none of your business."

The man chuckled. "If it's none of my business, then that just leads me to more evidence that you killed Mina and Nari."

"How, exactly?"

"After what you did to Chou Tzuyu, you regretted what you did, and aimed at the two people who were closest to her."

"How does that make sense?" Sana retorted back. "Besides, since I came back, I never spoke with Tzuyu or Mina."

"But-"

"No buts. The only time I talked with Tzuyu was yesterday, when she came to visit me in my cell. And you know what she told me?" Sana smirked. "She told me that Mina was still alive."

"But she's dead-"

"And how would you know that? Are there pictures of her body? Her ashes? Any evidence? And Nari, did you even check her DNA to make sure it was her, or did you just assume things?" Sana chuckled.

Her lawyer leaned over. "You know it's my job to do that, right?"

Sana nodded. "This is quite fun actually, I've never argued to prove my point before."

Her lawyer furrowed her eyebrows as she shuffled back in her chair. "Alright then, guess I'm useless."

The judge stood up.

"We will now show the evidence on the screen."

Suddenly, the same audio that Nayeon, Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung heard in the station was played out loud.

Sana looked back at her friends, who kept on mouthing to her, 'it's fake, it's fake.'

But how would she know?

It sounded like their voices alright.

Sana gulped as she realised how her friends had betrayed her, and she felt tears forming in her eyes as the audio really seemed to prove a point.

The audio ended and the judge sighed. "Next we have the text message that was sent the morning before her death."

Which showed on the screen, and Sana only closed her eyes.

"The jury will now leave the room to make a decision."

Sana watched as the jury left, and she slid back in her seat.

*****

"Bail is set at 1 billion won. Court dismissed." The judge said as she hit her gavel onto the wooden platform.

Chaeyoung cried into Nayeon's chest as Jeongyeon wrapped her arms around the younger one's waist.

"We've failed her." Nayeon sighed. "We couldn't do anything, we're the worst friends in the universe."

"The damn jury decided to not listen to what Sana was saying, and sentenced her for a life sentence plus 10 years. Sana's going to rot in there." Jeongyeon rubbed her eyes. "I can't take this anymore."

Chaeyoung sniffled as she nodded. "Sana, Mina, Nari and Tzuyu... they're all gone."

"What do you mean, Tzuyu?"

"Tzuyu's not going to talk for a year, you do realise that. It's the same as when Sana left, now imagine what it's going to be like."

"I wish I didn't have to imagine."