Chapter 33

Hannes entered the dining room just as I was leaving, and he said nothing as I walked by. The weight of his stare remained on me despite his silence and only when I walked out of, I assume, his line of sight, did I feel the weight drift away.

An angry looking Elijah stood in the doorway of the living room, and his eyes narrowed down upon me.

"Have you seen Hannes with my mints?" He demanded. It was almost comical, the way this largely muscled and at times intimidating lycan whined over the loss of his mints and I couldn't help the grin that briefly grew on my lips.

My mind flashed to the conversation that had occured between Helda and myself, and how she'd explained that Helmitch had given a packet to her.

"No. I haven't seen Hannes with them." I told him, taking several steps forward, intending to enter the living room, but Elijah refused to move. Heat seemed to flush my back, and my skin prickled with awareness as I felt Hannes' presence.

"You didn't take my word for it, Beta?" His low voice was rough, but speckled with amusement. Elijah grunted, narrowed eyes darting between us before he left, declaring over his shoulder that he would see that the warriors were carrying out their assignments.

Warmth skirted up my back until I moved forward once again, entering the living room and making a beeline towards the sofa, the book which I'd been reading resting amongst cushions.

I plucked it up and began flipping through pages, but my attention was more so focused on Hannes as he too sat on the sofa, leaving little to no space between us.

The scent of soup was strong in the air, and my eyes flashed to the bowl he'd carried with him into the livingroom and had placed on the table.

"I'd like to speak with you." Hannes was holding my wrist when he said this, making me lower the book so that I had no choice but to meet his gaze. I allowed the book to rest on my lap, and adjusted my body so I faced him, my fingers interlacing as I waited.

"Anabelle is not alive. I can assure you that," Hannes told me, eyes missing nothing as he saw me stiffen. He had yet to remove his hold on my wrist, and his touch seemed to sear my skin pleasantly. "However, I should tell you that it has been suspected that Yanneek or Helda could have the knowledge to create potions, and attempted to bring Anabelle back to life."

My eyes widened. "Why would they do that?"

Hannes shrugged his shoulder. "I am not sure. However, none of the lycans in this pack, to my understanding, know how to make potions or aware that they can make them. We, the Elders, Beta and myself do not discuss such things with pack members."

"Why?"

"The Elders have encouraged only for particular lycans in packs to be aware of potions and the with-holding of information regarding their existence to pack members. It's one of the few undisputable rules which was established decades ago. This rule is still followed and I don't intend on breaking it."

I bit on the inside of my cheek, removing my wrist from his hand. A flash of displeasure crept across Hannes' expression at that, but I attempted to ignore it.

"And you think either Helda or Yanneek knows how to make the potions?" I inquired, straightening backwards on the sofa, which effectively placed more distance between us. The look of displeasure intensified, and I watched the way his long fingers curled into fists before unclenching.