Chapter 10- Unexpected Visitor

POV Ciara

Later that evening, and I sat in the lobby of the lodge house with some of the boys. Kloppman was helping us make signs for the strike.

I sit on the ground with Blink and Race painting "STRIKE" on a piece of cardboard. The two were having more fun with the paint itself then actually making the sign.

Blink and Race went back and fourth giggling- yes I mean giggling, poking each other with their paint covered fingers. Boys I thought shaking my head,

"Excuse- Excuse me. Can I help you?" Kloppman's voice asked over our chatter.

There three of us look up to see a man in a top had rudely going through papers on Kloppman's desk.

"You have a boy who calls himself Jack Kelly? I wish to see him?"

"Jack Kelly? Jack... never heard of him." Kloppman lies.

Kloppman repeats the last part never of heard of him a few times as if he was trying to convince the man. Why would Kloppman lie to this man?

Race nudges Blink and the two of them slowly start to stand up. Not knowing what else to do, I follow.

"Guys... who is that?" I whispered carefully.

"Snynda." Blink whispers back not moving his gaze from Snyder.

My heart plummets to my stomach as I finally start connecting the dots to what's going on. Snyder saw Jack's face in the newspaper and was looking for him. To arrest him.

"Any of you boys ever heard of a Jack Kelly?" Kloppman asks the room.

The room falls quiet as if everyone just saw a ghost. We all just shake our heads no. I can't help but scan the room looking for Jack. Where is he anyway?

"Dats an unusual name for these parts." Specs says appearing behind us leaning on the railing.

Skittery leans close next to him a confused look plastered on his face as well.

"Oh, you mean Jack Kelly?" Race pipes up.

I snap my head so fast towards him. What is Race doing? He takes a few steps closer to the two men as he adjusts his newsie cap.

"Yeah, he was here, but he put an egg in his shoe, and beat it." he snickers placing his cigar back in his mouth.

We all erupt in laughter and Race's sarcasm and even Kloppman fights back a nervous smile. All the sudden, I see Jack appear across the room and sneak behind a few newsies.

"I have reason to believe that he is an escaped prisoner, possibly dangerous." Snyder continues dismissing Race's joke.

"Oh. Is he dangerous?" Kloppman asks pretending to sound interested.

This man is such a good guy. So loyal- such a team player. He could easily rat Jack out right now, but he love's us all- especially Jack. He would never ever do something as cruel as that.

As Snyder nods, Jack sneaks up right behind him and dramatically places his hand across his chest pretending to gasp in disbelief. Blink and I do our best not to laugh at him.

"I better look in my files. Come this way please." Kloppman says kindly.

Jack runs away before Snyder can turn and the boys hold up their signs quickly to block Jack from being seen. Snyder eyes them carefully before taking a step towards them.

Racetrack jumps in front of Snyder quickly and politely asks, "Give ta da newsies strike fund, mista?

Slowly, Snyder digs in his pocket and hands him a shiny nickel. Race smiles proudly and Snyder brushes past him quickly exiting the lodge house.

The door closes behind him and Jack pops out of hiding and smiles triumphantly.

"Hear dat fellas? I's real dangerous! Like a real criminal or somethin! Right Kloppman?" he jokes.

We all laugh and Kloppman smiles too.

"The only thing dangerous about you Cowboy is your snoring I can hear from my bedroom." Kloppman teases.

The boys "ohhh" and jump up and down excitedly at Kloppman's remark and even is Jack laughing.

**

A few hours later, I'm sitting on my bed staring at the clock tick on the wall. It was 11:00 at night and I was waiting anxiously for 11:30 when I plan to leave.

Most of the boys my age are still up and full of energy. I want to make a very slick exit like last time, but by the look of things, it does not seem very possible.

"Hey Gutsy!" Mush calls from the other side of the room.

I peal my eyes away from the clock and turn to face him. Sitting next to him, Specs, Blink, Skittery, and Racetrack all look at me eagerly

"We's need a goirls opinion!" he shouts waving me over.

I get up from my bed and take a seat next to Specs.

"How much money would it take for yous ta sleep with me?" Blink asks.

I roll my eyes and giggle.

"Blink, there's not enough money in the world." I tease.

"Is this all you guys talk about?" I smirk.

"No, no!"

"Course not!"

"We ain't dat big of losers!"

They all defend themselves quickly. I start to laugh. Yeah, right.

"Ok, ok fine. I's can learn to live with dat- with time. But if not me, then what newsie would yous sleep with?" he pries.

"None of you! I don't look at my family like that! That would be weird... gross even!" I protest.

They may all be good looking boys, but I just don't look at any of them like that. I really consider them all big brothers that I spent a lot of my time with.

Racetrack sighs dramatically pounding his fists one on top of the other over his heart. He pretends to stab himself as if I just shattered his dreams.

The boys all laugh and slap each other high fives at his "knife stabbing skit." Race rolls his eyes and hands Specs the nickel Snyder gave him earlier. 

"So that's why you called me over hear? To bet on my response?" I ask.

They all look at each other and nod in unison. I roll my eyes and chuckle before standing up to find my boots.

I sit on my bed and lace them up. At this point, I don't care if I'm early. I just want to get there and hear what's so important Spot couldn't tell me during the time we spent together today.

"Hey Gutsy where ya goin?" Skittery calls out as I go to open the window.

"I need some fresh air. I feel a little weird- that's all. Don't worry about me." I assure him and I climb out the window.