24. Meek women my foot

"Who the heck gave Alexander the idea of conquering Egypt? Damn man, it's hot as Hades," Julian got down from his horse, waving his hand dismissively at the people following him, "Stop the procession, we'll take some rest," he breathed out hastily.

"Good place to stop. Apparently, we've reached the banks of the Nile. I bet everyone's thirsty," Jakov stated, ushering with his sword to stop the beeline of slaves and warriors.

"Stop! Everyone must be guided by the warriors to the bank. Drink as much as you can cause after this, there won't be any stopping!" he announced.

Julian lowered his horse to a sitting position and rested against it. Sweat dripped past his temples, beading his torso. The air was cooler due to the nearness of the great river Nile.

"Here... the water," Jakov huffed, shifting the vessel full of water near the horse, and sat down, tired out of his wits.

"Thanks man," Julian slapped his shoulder in acknowledgement. Taking out the pitcher he kept with himself, he dipped it in the vessel.

Filling it to the brim, he poured it over his head. Getting rid of the stickiness and sand particles that were stuck due to the hot weather of Egypt, he took another pitcher full of water and poured it behind his shoulders.

Shaking out the water from his hair, he glanced beside to see Jakov. A gloomy expression settled on his face.

"Hm?" he clapped in front of his face, startling him.
"Helaine's troubling again?" he asked, amused.

"Am I that easy to read?" he sighed, picking the sand dust in his fingers only to let go. His eyes fixed at a faraway distance.

"I heard she'll be giving one of her beloved cubs to someone. Is that cracking you up? And oh, she hasn't come with you, I see," Julian came to sit beside him, now drinking from the pitcher to quench his parched throat.

"What? I know nothing about that. But she seems to be... oh man, how do I say this?" he rubbed his hands over his face.

"She's ignoring me for some old friends. Also, she made some new ones in the concubine's association, so she'll be staying there for the time being," he sighed.

Julian snickered, then burst out in a full-blown laughter.

"Gosh Jakov, such a lover that you are! I know I can never understand what goes through the mind of a man who's in a relationship but," he paused to fetch another pitcher of water.

"You've got to start ignoring a bit, like chasing her every time will not work. What I mean is listen to her and fulfil every damn wish she wants, but be subtle about it. You going crazy about every little thing she does is a total turnoff. Give her some space to breathe. Sounds good?" he mused.

A small smile broke on Jakov's face, "Says the man who's never experienced all this," he chuckled.

Julian dipped a linen piece in the vessel and draped it around his shoulders to cool off.

"I've never studied with Aristotle as Alexander did, but one saying by him has really impressed me," he smiled.

"Never let your heart be broken by love, especially if you are a warrior. If a woman conquers your heart, it becomes a- you know, bit difficult to conquer the lands. Distractions and all," he concluded.

"But your advice sounds good. I hope you also get your better-half someday. After all, a man is incomplete without a woman in his life, right?"

But Julian wasn't listening anymore. Jakov traced his line of sight to see his attention strained on a group of warriors hassling with some female slaves.