Chapter 13

Jamal's POV

Flashback.

"I think...I think Mateo likes her." I opened up and Faizal sighed, settling down to listen to me.

"What makes you think that?" He asked me and I sighed.

"I'm not blind, Faizal. I've seen the way he looks at her, seen the way he is around her. He is smitten by her, just like I am. Only that he is going about it the wrong way and it's getting me pissed off." I replied and Faizal hummed, dropping his glasses.

"Going about the wrong way how?" He asked again and I sighed then started to relay everything that happened at the party to him, every bit of it. How Mateo made a move on Elyon. How he touched her. How he wanted to kiss her.

"If Elyon didn't had the urge to throw up, something would have happened and God knows I'd have beaten up Mateo to a pulp. Hell, I still want to." I growled out, feeling fresh anger course through my veins as the image of that night flashed through my mind.

"What are you going to do if he wants to date her?" Faizal asked and I looked at him like he had gone banners.

"What kind of question is that? What do you expect me to do?" I snapped at him and he chuckled.

"Jamal, that question is too deep to be simple so I want you to think about it very well." He stated and I calmed down. He exhaled and continued. "Now, your reaction to whatever happens is totally your choice but you have to act with wisdom so that whatever the case may be, you won't loose at both ends." He paused for effect, looking at me as my expression softened.

"What do you mean?" I asked him.

"Mateo was your friend way before Elyon came into the picture. Do you really want to fight over her with your closest and longest friend?" That question hit deep and the intensity and knowledge behind it was too scary for me to handle.

"She's worth fighting over..." I started but Faizal cut me.

"I know she is. Trust me, I've seen the way your face lit up at the mention of her name. She means a lot to you and I know that but are you ready to throw your friendship away for something you are not too sure of?" He asked again and again that question hit deep, I was rendered speechless. Faizal continued.

"You like her. Heck, you are gradually falling for her but you are not sure if she feels the same way. So why gamble on it?" He asked rhetorically and I heaved, coming to the realization that he was right.

"If Mateo wants to go for her and he perhaps tells you about it, give him the go ahead..." I shot my head up at that.

"What?! No..."

"Let me finish. You don't know what will come out of it. If she will say no or yes. But instead of fighting your friend, support him. Be happy for him, give nothing away." He said. I exhaled, the weight of what he said hitting me hard.

"That would be so hard." I whispered.

"I know, trust me I do but I know you cherish your friendship with Mateo. Heck, you help him even when it's not convenient for your health. This is one of those times. Be the bigger person. Who knows, it might work in your favour." Faizal smiled and I sighed again.

"If he is going about it the wrong way, it is bound to blow up in his face." He added.

"What if it doesn't?" I asked him.

"Never say never." He simply replied.

End of Flashback

"What did you say?" I asked Mateo again. I saw the mischievous glint in his eyes. He was getting the reaction he expected. He knew what he was doing.