21

"Sam, are you in position?"

"Affirmative, Cap. I can see most of the area from up here. I'll see any officers coming long before they reach you" Sam responds through our comm link.

"Authorities here don't play around" I inform under my breath as I walk through the streets, "Once they know where he is, they'll be on him in minutes"

"How are we sure he'll even be caught? If I get him from his apartment in time we should be fine" Captain Rogers adds, walking out of a nearby shop and casually taking stride beside me.

"His face is plastered on every news station and website, it's only a matter of time" I respond gravely.

"Now how do we know that Barnes is even going to come with us? Isn't he still fuzzy on the whole memories part?" I hear Sam ask through the comm. I blow out a sigh, the man having just acknowledged my biggest fear with this mission.

"He'll come. Even if he doesn't know me, he knows Dawn" Steve responds. I smile at the thought of Bucky, missing the way he found a way to mess around with me even in the most serious situations. I shake my head, trying to clear away the thoughts. It's hard, though, when he's been the only thing on my mind for the past few days.

"He knows you, Cap. Somewhere deep inside, he knows you" I assure, turning to the man and placing a reassuring hand onto his shoulder. He smiles at me, nodding his gratitude. I return the nod and glance back forward.

The two of us walking side by side could almost be mistaken for siblings.

"Alright, approaching the apartment complex" Steve mumbles, his voice resonating in our comms. My eyes take in the large building that quickly arrives before us. I look over to Captain Rogers, who wears a jacket over his uniform and holds his shield in his backpack.

"Let's suit up" I state. He looks at me and nods, quickly pulling off his jacket and pulling out his shield once we are in the alleyway of the building. I do the same, discarding a jacket that hides my suit and willing my mask to cover my nose.

"After you" he politely says, allowing me room to walk into the apartment complex. I take in a shaky breath, looking up the long flights of stairs.

"I hope you're ready for leg day, Cap." I remark, looking over at the man. He chuckles, sighing.

"My legs could use some work"

I laugh quietly, beginning to ascend them swiftly with Cap at my side.

"How are we looking, Sam?" I ask, my eyes trainer upward as we jog up the stairs.

"Good so far, nothing that I can see" his voice crackles back over the comm. We keep moving until we reach Bucky's floor. Once we do, we both love breathlessly towards the door to his apartment.

"He does that everyday?" Cap asks incredulously. I look over at him, nodding.

"I had to do it while I was bleeding to death"

With that, I gently turn the door handle. I brace myself for what may be inside, not knowing if I'm ready to face Bucky again. Once the door swings open, my eyes sweep the area to find that he's not home. Relief pools in me and I motion for Steve to follow me in.

"This is his place, huh" he muses, his eyes scouring the area. I can tell he's anxious to see his best friend again from the way he grips his shield tighter and the way he holds an almost fearful glint in his eye. I walk in, my eyes catching on the messy sheets from where he no doubt slept that night.