-23-

Astraea Grey

"Well, just know I'm happy for you that you're going with Jaden. And if Hayden chose Hazel, then forget about him" Madison told me as we looked through the different colors and styles of dresses.

I let a breath of air out "I've should've talked to him on Saturday. We could've at least talked through this situation". I shrugged my shoulders. "And I can't be mad that he chose Hazel, I kinda told him to go after her, the day he left my room".

"If he really cared for you he wouldn't even step foot near that girl. Hell, he'll be outside your window begging for you". She remarked as she pulled a lavendar sparking dress out and held it close to her body. "This is the dress"

"You didn't even try it on" I pointed out as I looked at a light pink dress but quickly put it back on the rack.

Madison shrugged her shoulders "I just know. Now lets find you a dress".

I scrunched my nose while looking at the dresses "I don't like any of them".

A scoff let Madison's mouth "That's because you aren't looking correctly".

"There's a correct way to look for something?"

"Yes, now lets go" She grabbed my arm as we walked further back in the store. More dresses of different colors and styles surrounded me, making me feel overwhelmed.

God, please send me help.

~*~

"This is the last dress" I called out as I looked at the different dresses of different colors and lengths. I ran my hands over the emerald green satin dress. 

"Hurry and try it on" Madison yelled from the other side of the pink curtain. Not bothering to respond I slipped into the dress. A look of 'aw' crossed my face as I looked at myself through the mirror. The emerald green complemented my skin tone, the dress fell to the floor in a lovely manner. It happened to be off the shoulders and the V-neck crisscrossed over my chest. 

"Astraea did you die in there" I blinked not once but twice as I unglued my eyes from the mirror looking at myself.

"Just one second" I called out gathering the ends of the satin dress. My eyes trailed over the dress one last time as I exited the dressing room and walked out and saw Madison pacing back and fourth, biting her nails. "Mads, I like this one"

At the sound of my voice she stopped her pacing and dropped her hand from her mouth. I dropped the ends of the dress that were in my hands letting it flow around me. "I love it" Madison exclaimed as she looked over the dress.

"Thank you for picking the dress out". I stated as I ran my hands down the bottom half of the dress. If she didn't force me into staying longer in the store then I wouldn't have found this dress.

"No problem, Rae. Now lets hit the food court". My stomach growled at the mention of the food court. I gave Madison a small smile and turned around getting ready to take the dress off.

~*~

We dropped our bags onto the floor as we sat down. I instantly shoved a spoonful of teriyaki chicken and white rice into my mouth.

"Say cheese" I looked up to see Madison 's phone flash a light at me. "You look...cute" She showed me the photo.

"I look fat" I chuckled as I swallowed the food. Madison just shook her head quickly typing something on her phone. "Don't post it"

"I'm not." She looked at me "But I cant say that for your birthday post." I rolled my eyes and began eating my food again. A comfortable silence fell between us as we just stuffed our faces with food. From the looks we were getting from onlookers, we probably looked like we were starved for days. But in reality we hadn't eaten since lunch and between now and lunch seemed like a long time as we hadn't had anything to snack on in-between. 

"Rae, it's Jaden" I choked on my food. Coughing I grabbed my drink. "Jaden!!" Madison yelled completely ignoring her dying friend. She waved her hands frantically in the air attempting to grab his attention over the noisy food court. She continued screaming his name about five times until he noticed who was calling him.

"Hey guys" He looked down at me seeing my expression. "Are you okay? Your face is kinda red"

I nodded my head "Y-yea, just the food went down the wrong way".

"O-okay. Did you find your dress yet?" I nodded my head. A smile crossed his face "Can I see."

"Nope" Popping the P "You can wait until Saturday"

"Can you at least tell me the color" He arched a brow.

"Yes, it's emerald green" It was then as I looked at Jaden that the color of the dress would go perfectly with his eye color.

"Jaden" A little girl about eight who had the similar platinum blond curly hair and green eyes as Jaden walked over with an older boy who too had the same features as Jaden and the little girl.

"Astraea and Madison, this is my younger sister Rose and older brother Jacob" They both gave us a wave and a smile. 

"Jaden, we need to get going" Jaden's older brother; Jacob's deep voice shook me. As I looked at him, he looked around twenty.

"Alright, bye. Astraea I'll text you". 

I gave him a thumbs up "Okay" As they left I went back to eating my food.

"Your dress matches his eyes" Madison blurted out as she eyed the three retreating platinum blond heads.

"Yea, I noticed when I looked at him" I chuckled.

"I can't wait for Saturday"

"Me either. I wont have to plan another dance until prom" I rubbed my forehead in annoyance. I have to give props to party planners because planning a high school dance was tiring.

"So we're getting ready at your house" Madison questioned as she grabbed her cup of soda.

"Yea, you know we have to do our tradition photos" I half smiled. Every year for homecoming Hayden, Madison and me took our photos at my house. And every year we took the same photo of us standing on the staircase. This year however was going to be different.

"Oh yeah. Who's your brother taking".

"He's not allowed to go after the stunt he pulled today. It was either that or being suspended from the football team. And his coach wasn't going to let that happen as he's the best running back".

"That sucks"

I nodded my head in agreement "My mom was pissed at first that he wasn't going to the dance. But when she heard the reason why he got into a fight, she paid him. Now the kid gained 100 bucks for sticking up for me." I paused as I took a sip of my soda. "I might just get into a fight with one of his exes and tell my mom I was sticking up for him just to get some money". I joked.

"Count me in" Madison playfully winked her eye before laughing with me.