3

(Y/n) groaned, lifting her head enough to see her captor. Somehow, he'd distorted everything about him to the point that she had no clue who he was, or even what type of animal he was. He was just there. Clearly, he didn't want her to know who he was. 

Yet.

"Tired yet?" he asked softly. He'd been torturing her for the past twenty four hours, tirelessly. He'd sent a message to Sonic, but (Y/n) was hoping he wouldn't come. It would just give her captor what he wanted, and that was not what she wanted. Anyway, he seemed to think she could handle herself, and as soon as her keeper tired of torturing her, she would find a way out. She wasn't fully defeated yet. 

She also didn't reply. Giving him the satisfaction of a reply would only encourage him more. So she simply dropped her head and allowed him to either lash her, or beat her physically. But he didn't seem to care that she didn't talk. He only wanted to make her feel as much pain as possible before Sonic arrived. 

If Sonic arrived. 

"Honestly, I thought he would be here by now," he said. "But what can you expect from someone like him? Too wild to tame, too fast to catch, too prideful to admit when he's wrong. And now you will suffer for his ignorance."

More silence. "Oh, come on now," he said, running a claw under her chin. "I know you have something in there." She lifted her head to glare at him, blood dribbling out of her mouth.

"Go. To. -" She was stopped before she could finish by a loud crash at the entrance of the cave they were in.

"Ready or not, here I come!" Sonic shouted, pointing a wispon at the mystery foe. Her wispon. (Y/n) cracked a smile.

"Ah. I didn't think you'd show up," the (a/t)'s captor said, voice unreadable. "You took your time for the fastest thing alive."

"Finding you was the challenge," Sonic said, charging the wispon. "Now step aside and I won't blast you into next year." He shrugged. "Maybe."

"Now, now, you haven't heard my conditions," his opponent said. "To prove that you are the fastest thing alive, you have to grab her within three seconds. Should be easy, shouldn't it?"

"Wait-"

"Three."

"No-"

"Two." Sonic shot forward but the mystery Mobian kicked him aside easily. "One. That's too bad. I was starting to believe the rumors." He grabbed one of Sonic's ears, kicking the wispon away and lifting his head to look at (Y/n). She stared at him with wide eyes.

"Hey! Let her go! At least!" Sonic shouted, flailing. The mystery Mobian glanced down at him. "Who are you, anyway? Why do you want us?" The Mobian chuckled.

"I'll tell you when you are dead in front of me," he said.

(Y/n) looked up at her bindings holding her to the ceiling. She twisted her hand. They were ropes, but how they were attached to the ceiling was a mystery. She shook her head and squeezed her eyes shut. This would hurt.

Then she pulled. She cried out at the same time as pain shot up her arms. But the ropes came off the ceiling, her wrists throbbing as she fell to her knees. Both males looked at her and she pushed herself up, gritting her teeth.

"Foolish little one," the mystery Mobian said, shaking his head. "You've put yourself through unnecessary pain." She hissed angrily, then lunged forward and grabbed her wispon. Her arms tried to refuse to work, but she lifted it anyway and fired. Her shot was off and blasted Sonic's ear, though it got his captor. He hissed and released the hedgehog, stepping back.

"Enough," he said.

"Yeah," Sonic agreed. He had a hand over his ear, though temporarily taking it off to spin dash into his opponent. "Let's get out of here!" He grabbed (Y/n) and shot out of the cave, burrowing through the wall to lose their pursuer. He eventually stopped, curling around the (a/t) and up as tight as possible as the mystery Mobian flew down the tunnel, calling their names.

After about a half hour, he finally gave up and moved on.

"Are you alright?" Sonic whispered to (Y/n). She weakly nodded, not really wanting to bring up her oddly shaped wrists, tears shimmering in her eyes from the pain. "We need to get out of here and get you some treatment."

"He'll find us," she breathed. Sonic's ears twitched. "We can't be in the cities. He'll be able to track us. We need to be as discreet as possible."

"I'm still getting you treatment," he replied. "And thanks for the save."

"I torched your ear," she said, reaching up and touching his ear. He winced, then grabbed her hand.

"It's alright," he said. "I've faced worse and come out as handsome as ever. It doesn't even hurt that much anymore. That guy's hand took a lot of the blow." She pulled her hand away. "Let's get going. I'm starting to cramp, and I can bet you are, too." She nodded woodenly. "It's going to be okay." He then wrapped his arms around her and kept burrowing. "You think you could pull off a double boost?"

"I'll do my best." They grabbed hands, the (a/t) gasping lightly as pain lanced up her arm. Then a soft blue glow surrounded them and they shot through the ground, bursting up to the surface a couple minutes later.

(Y/n) collapsed on the ground, panting. Sonic quickly untied the ropes from around her wrists, and scooped her into his arms. He took off, scaling the cliff and landing at the top. "There's a cave around here," he said. "I discovered it on a run recently." (Y/n) didn't say anything, just swallowed her sobs.

Soon, they arrived at said cave, easily hidden behind bushes and trees. Sonic crawled under the plants and into the cave, helping (Y/n) in as well. She slumped against the wall, her hands shivering.

"Hang tight," Sonic said. "I'll be back in a few minutes." And then he was gone, leaving (Y/n) alone.

She knew she had been handling herself alone the whole time, but now, sitting in a cave, alone and defenseless, she debated on whether or not she could do it. What if he found her?

For the first time since she'd parted from the resistance, she didn't think she could do it alone.