10.

"Rajkumari Sahiba." Hania said entering Meera's tent.
"Please get ready, we will leave in the next hour." Hania looked at Meera and smiled sadly, she did not know what exactly happened but she was smart enough to figure out whatever had made the Bundelkhand King to leave without his daughter and for Meera to accompany them to Agra was not a pleasant story.

The king had left yesterday with all the surviving soldiers and guards of his, except the Grain minister Abhishek, Kanika and one of Meera's maid who had decided to stay back with Meera.

Meera couldn't sleep, she stayed up all night looking at the ceiling, the piece of fabric that obscured her view of the starry sky, she remembered being a small girl sitting on her fathers lap and watching the stars and learning about different constellation's from her fathers personal astrologer.

"Rajkumari, should I keep your breakfast on the table ?" Hania asked with caution as if talking to a small child.

"Nahi. Le jao isse." (No take it away)

"But you-."

"Hania." Meera said softly but sternly enough to stop the teen from countering Meera.

"Please send Kanika to my tent if she is ready." Meera said to which Hania nodded softly and left the tent.

Meera scrubbed her body with the wash cloth and loosely braided her hair. She changed into a light green cotton lehnga and blouse and covered her head with a dupatta.

Kanika entered her room along with Meera's maid, who stayed back and Sakina the Mughal maid who served her the first day.

"Pack everything in the trunks and get them loaded. Cover the mirror in a think blanket of cloth and wool before loading them." Kanika told the two who nodded and got to work.

Meera sat on the bed and watched her friend help, it wasn't just her life which had changed, Kanika's had as well, as unwelcome as she now was in Bundelkhand, Kanika was as well. At least she knew that there wasn't anyone left for her to go back but for Kanika, her parents, her life she had willingly given up everything for her friend, for Meera.

Meera's eyes welled up, she still had a family in her friend and then there was Abhishek Bhaisa, who she had always referred to as a brother just out of respect, but today in true sense he did what a real brother would do for their sister, he too had said goodbye to his old comfortable life just so he could make sure she was safe wherever she went.

"Meera... Meera." She felt her shoulders being shaken, pulling her out from her chain of thoughts.

"The dawn has broken, everything is packed, its time for us to leave." Kanika smiled softly at her.

Meera threw her arms around Kanika's neck and held on to the only part of her life she was certain about.

"I'm sorry Kanika, I really am." She sobbed softly.

"You don't have to be sorry, you don't have to carry the guilt of making me stay because I know you are. I know what path I'm trotting on and I will do it a million times over for you, specially when I know you need me. We are sisters Meera, we are." She pulled Meera back still holding her by her arm and smiled at her.

"Now let's get going before the tall chieftain comes and yells at us to move our sorry self out." She chuckled.

————————

They travelled for 12 days. In those 12 days the only people Meera saw were here maids, Kanika, Abhishek and Tahir the Chieftain who would come at the end of the day to check on her.

She was glad that the man who claimed to be her husband wasn't interested in indulging with her like she wasn't interested in seeing him ever again.

On the 12th day, somewhere around mid day, she heard a knock on her palanquin, she pushed aside her curtain to see Abhishek Bhaisa.

"Meera, we have reached Agra, we are right outside the gates of Agra. You can see the walls from here."

She poked her head out of curiosity and what stood ahead was massive. She had been to Amer which was a larger kingdom than her own but it wasn't as huge.

"Meera the king wants you to come in the front of the caravan, closer to him." He said and Meera's eyes widened with fear.

"Don't worry I'll be there and Kanika too." He smiled to which Meera nodded silently.

She felt her palanquin move ahead from in between a lot I commotion. It stopped after moving for a couple of minutes.

Her senses were heightened with fear. She could hear shuffling outside and then the curtains of her palanquin were drawn open.

"Come out." Came a gruff voice. She poked her head out a little to see it was the chief Tahir.

"Come Meera." Came another familiar voice, Kanika stood outside for her friend.

Meera de boarded the palanquin clumsily, she never liked the claustrophobic wooden box.

"Walk with me and stand near Haider. Ammi Be is waiting to welcome you." He said causally and walked ahead of them before pausing and looking at them, "And behave." He said and walked towards the huge

A/N: Double update because the chapters were short and I want you all to get to the good part really soon <3