Chapter Sixty-Four

The end of their time at Hogwarts quickly arrived. Cassiopeia realised it was the end of an era. She had taken for granted the safety offered by Hogwarts and wished more than anything that she had had more time with the Marauders there. 

Cassiopeia sat alone in the courtyard as she stared up at the large castle. It had become her home and sanctuary but now she was full of fear about leaving. She could remember when she first arrived - how naive and innocent she had once been. Everything had changed in the seven years she had been there. She was no longer the sweet Black sister. She was a fighter. She had given up her family to fight for the side she believed in. 

Modesty and Bertie stopped in front of her causing Cassiopeia to immediately grin at them both, "I really am going to miss you two."

Bertie hugged her tightly as Modesty tried and failed to hide her tears, "This is the last time we are going to be together for a long time!"

"I can't put your lives in danger," Cassiopeia informed them, "I am already a target because of who I am. I would be beside myself if anything was to happen to either of you because of me."

Modesty let out a sob as she clung onto Cassiopeia, "I really will miss you. Thank you for being my best friend, Cassie."

And then they were gone. Gone as quickly as they had arrived. 

Footsteps were heard first and then Sirius called out, "It is time to leave now, Cassie."

She nodded before making her way over to her cousin, linking her arm with his, "I am glad I am leaving with you!" 

"I'm bloody marvellous, of course, you are." 

As the two made their way down the corridor, Cassiopeia caught eyes with her youngest cousin. He watched the two in pain, clearly jealous of how close they were. He was no longer the child she had grown up with. His curly dark hair lay on his shoulders and it looked as though he hadn't washed it in a while. His face was pale and gaunt as though he hadn't properly eaten in months. But it was his eyes that had changed the most. They were cold. And in pain. Cassiopeia wanted him to run, to never stop, but she knew he would never be able to now. He had chosen his fate.

And she couldn't help him. 

Cassiopeia was the last to get in the boat with the four Marauders. She smiled to herself as she thought about how if someone had told her seven years ago that they would become some of her greatest friends she would have laughed in their face and said it was impossible. Yet here they were. 

The person she was truly grateful for squeezed her hand causing Cassiopeia to smile at him. James in return grinned.

"You know, it's fitting really," Remus said as he stared over at her, "We travelled together to Hogwarts, you, me and Peter. And now we are leaving together."

Cassiopeia laughed, "I didn't even speak to you back then. I didn't want to make any friends before the sorting ceremony."

"Why?"

"I didn't want to befriend anyone for them to end up being sorted into Gryffindor."

The group laughed, "Now look at you - surrounded by Gryffindors."

"I was nearly sorted into Gryffindor," Cassiopeia informed them before looking up at the castle.

Sirius smiled at her, "I always thought you were just trying to annoy Marlene when you said it."

"I'm glad I wasn't in Gryffindor. I wouldn't want to have to put up with her all the time."

"Imagine how different everything would have been," James remarked, "Who knows what would have happened."

The five were silent as they looked up at Hogwarts, watching as it grew smaller and smaller. Memorising the way it looked, knowing they wouldn't return.  

Cassiopeia then said so they could all hear, "We are no longer safe."