book 1 - chapter 7

I can't stop staring at him. Every single time I picture Bolin in my head, I picture him being an excellent pro-bender or goofing around. I never thought this image would be in front of me, that of Bolin tied up and vulnerable. That of Bolin in genuine trouble.

I turn to see Mako, there is a mix of relief and anger in his face. Relief that we found his brother, anger that he is in this state. I squeeze his hand harder, I can't imagine how hard this is for him after losing his parents. We've to get Bolin out of this.

Amon continues. "Please welcome 'Lightning Bolt' Zolt, leader of the Triple Threat Triad." The guards proceed to bring out a man who looks extremely angry to be in this position. I furrow my eyebrows, if the equalists can capture the leader of the Triple Threats, they can capture anybody. "And one of the most notorious criminals in Republic City."

The people around me start booing. I look around them. I grow uneasy.

"Ah, boo yourself." Zolt bitterly spats. I raise an eyebrow, probably not the best thing to say in this situation.

"We've got to go get him." Korra says with the intention of going towards the stage.

Mako grabs her shoulder, instantly stopping her. "Wait. We can't fight them all. We need to be smart about this."

"Then come up with a game plan, Team Captain." Korra says sourly.

"Bickering won't help Bolin." I hiss at them.

We're interrupted by Amon. "Zolt has amassed a fortune by extorting and abusing non-benders, but his reign of terror is about to come to an end. Now, in the interest of fairness, I will give Zolt a chance to keep his bending."

"You're going to regret doing that, pal." Zolt retorts, then proceeds to punch out a strike of pure red fire at Amon.

As soon as I see the fire, I flinch and step back. My heart starts pounding furiously. Mako lets go of my hand and wraps his arm around my waist, pulling me closer. I turn to look at him, with confusion in my eyes.

"I've got you, ice girl." He says, his face still facing forward. "You're okay."

I nod and turn my attention back to Zolt and Amon. Zolt throws continuous punches of fire at Amon, who just evades them and runs forwards towards his opponent.

"I don't get it." I mutter.

"Get what?" Mako asks.

"He said he was attacked by a firebender when he was young. I was too." I turn to look at Mako. "I can't witness fire without every inch in my body telling me to run. But he just faces it forward like it's nothing. Either something is stupidly wrong with me or something is off about this guy."

Mako looks at me intently. He turns his attention back to the stage.

Zolt suddenly flashes lighting at Amon. He doesn't flinch a bit. He moves Zolt's arm and repositions his opponent's body to have him kneeling, his back at Amon. Amon then grabs his neck and places his remaining hand on Zolt's forehead. The lighting reduces to a potent fire, which reduces to a small flame, and then nothing. Amon pushes Zolt's limp body to the ground.

Zolt punches at Amon's direction but nothing comes out. The audience murmurs around me in awe.

"What...what did you do to me?"

"Your firebending is gone." Amon answers. "Forever."

I turn to see my friends. Mako's face is dead serious. Korra looks terrified. I gulp, we need to get Bolin and get out of here.

"The era of bending is over." The equalist leader says confidently. "A new era of equality has begun!"

The people around me cheer and applaud. Along with Bolin, other men were tied up on stage. One of them is grabbed by an equalist guard. He is untied and thrown to face Amon.