49:\\ Serum

Dr. Dooley

The students from my class were all useless fools. Every human subject that I tried the serum on failed me. Nothing happened, they just developed weird boils that disappeared a week later. I was certain there were no long term repercussions and I was angry. I followed up with all twenty of my test subjects a month later and all said they felt normal. My experiment had failed yet again, but I wasn't going to give up.

I knew I had the solution to this nightmare, yet it seemed so far. I needed to find the young boy who had destroyed my project all those years ago. He obviously has grown up by now. I hardly remember what he looked like aside from having brown hair which narrows it down to more than half the population.

I tossed the syringe aside and sat at my desk.

All my life work, this was all I could think of. This is all that made me angry. It was the fact that some foolish child ruined my hard work.

A thought struck me a moment later. I had fed my serum to my daughter as well, perhaps something happened to her.

But when I visited, she seemed normal enough. Her stats were the same as any normal person.

I shut my eyes, swirling around in my seat as I thought of possible ways to readjust my formula. Maybe it was best to try it on children so when they age they can have their genes manipulated. Or in vitro.

"Dr. Dooley?" A young lady stood outside my office door as I swiveled the chair.

"Yes? Come in." I announced.

"I know I didn't schedule an office hour or anything, but I was struggling with a few concepts and need some help before the final next week." She said. I greeted her warmly, a welcome distraction.

An hour passed by and she remained in my office. I had answered all of her questions, so I didn't understand why she was still here until she started asking me questions about my lab. It dawned upon me that she was simply an eager pre-med who was trying to join a lab and get good recommendations.

A devious plan arose as I decided, why the heck not.

"What's your name?" I asked her as she continued asking about my research.

"I'm Daniella, my friends call me Dannie!" She smiled widely, a people pleaser this one was.

"Well Daniella, I have a proposition for you and I can make all your pre-med dreams come true." I grinned, immediately leaving my chair and moving to my lab bench. I picked up the serum, adding in two more chemicals and placing it in the centrifuge.

The boy had ingested the serum all those years ago, it wasn't a shot. So maybe I could get her to eat this and see if she experienced anything.

"Sure Dr. Dooley." She was all too eager, the perfect candidate.

"One moment Daniella," I smiled, grabbing the test tube out and walking over to my desk. I opened the mini-fridge under my desk and pulled out an ice-cream cone. I was simply looking for one change and hoping this was the final solution.

I placed the contents of the test tube over the icecream. Maybe contents of the dairy had to react or maybe the sugar, regardless, I hoped this would work.

"Do me a favor and eat this Daniella, then report back to me next week. And don't worry about the final sweetheart. You're covered." I said, curiosity clouding my judgement, "just don't tell anybody else about this."

She nodded, taking the icecream from me and eating it. "Okay, Dr. Dooley." She said excitedly, knowing she'd earned an A in my class. I smiled.

Now I wait. I was waiting for her to leave so I could add her name to the list, but it didn't take long before she reacted with the serum and the ice cream.

It didn't take long before she started breaking out in hives and I had to send her to the emergency room. She would be fine, but I was still at square one.

I glanced at my phone. It was getting late, but I had nothing better to do. I started scrolling through the news media on my cellphone when a video of my daughter and the boy that had been with her the day I visited popped up on my phone.

They stood by a telephone phone, a car crashed into it, and they were floating. A shining white light surrounded them as they looked at each other and random voices echoed in the background.

So was Violet affected by my serum? I watched the video over and over again, searching for some sort of answer. I had to bring Violet in and figure things out. Perhaps, just maybe, the boy with her was the same one that ruined my life years ago.

A/N: heyyy!! I'm really hoping there's a bit more clarity now than there was a few chapters ago! If not, all puzzles will be solved soon ♥️ love you and please stay safe!

Please vote, comment (I LOVE reading your comments ngl), and follow me @VeronicaSoli

In case you're interested in getting the totally edited/revised/changed paperback version of this book:

AMAZON PAPERBACK LINK: https://www.amazon.com/Boy-Who-Read-Minds-ebook/dp/B08RYV11F2/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=veronica+Soliman&qid=1609863783&sr=8-3

Barnes and Noble: (Link will be available in the coming weeks)

Apple Store: (Link will be available in the coming weeks)