SIXTY: One More Secret

"At least I was honest about it! Jesus, Keigo, grow up and talk to me about it!"

I had been open about what had happened with Dabi, like a good wife should, but now I was dealing with a sulking swaddle of feathers in the far corner of our room. Of course, I knew it was wrong, and I knew it hurt him, but he had no room to talk. 'Anything for the mission' couldn't just apply to him anymore.

"If growing up means being okay with a literal sack of scorched shit tonguing my wife, then I refuse!" Hawks hissed back in a low voice, hunching down even more. "This isn't even your mission...You shouldn't even be here, and now you're actively trying to turn the targets on..."

Heaving a sigh, I approached him, pausing a few faces away from where he sat.
"I've said it before. Your problems became my problems the second we said I do, so don't try to play that card." Realising how harsh my tone was, I softened, crouching down and placing a hand over the curve of one of his wings. "I want to help you, and I know the way I'm trying to is...shitty...but he's falling for it. I'm not going to sleep with him."

He didn't turn around, but his wings fluffed up a little, tickling the palm of my hand.
"But you're still going to do things with him..." He wasn't asking, he was stating what he believed to be a fact, and he wasn't wrong. I'd go that far if the situation called for it, but I did have one other solution. One that could benefit us both a lot more.

"As long as we're here, I'm going to do whatever it takes to bring that fucker down...But...what if we just...leave..? Not just here, but...Japan. Why don't we just run away and-"
"Stop." Hawks flinched and stiffened, his head slightly shaking. "That isn't an option, (Y/N). Don't mention running away ever again."

My name..? It must be a touchy subject...

The last trace of my harsh edges disappearing, I crawled around to force myself between his front and the wall, having to squish myself between his legs.
"Remember, no more secrets. Why? I'll drop it, but I'd like to know." Hawks looked tired, but more than that, he looked anxious. I could see his tongue flicking against the backs of his teeth.

"When you sign a contract with the Commission, it's till death. I had to ask permission to date you. To marry you. If they want me to complete a mission, then I have to complete it, no matter what I have to do to make it happen..." So it hadn't been a spur of the moment proposal? He'd actually thought everything through?

The more I hear about the Commission, the more I get why some of these villains are against us...

Leaning my back against the wall, I took one of his hands in mine, toying with his wedding band, which matched mine.
"What would happen? If we did, y'know, run..?" I questioned softly, noticing how he refused to meet my eyes.
"I'd be given one chance to return. If I refused, then they'd more than likely kill us. It's happened before. Your life is the one thing I can never risk...Not again..."

Hawks leaned his head forward so it rested on my shoulder, and I nuzzled into the side of his hair, tangling our fingers together.
"I'm sorry for suggesting it, then...I love you..." I whispered, silently cursing out both the Commission and Hawks' parents, for selling his soul like that.

We sat in a long, strange silence for a long while, until he finally sat back and met my eyes, though only for a second before they fell back to his lap.
"All I ask...is that whatever you do...you won't tell me about it...I hate the thought of it, but if you really think it's going to work, I won't try to stop you anymore...just...please don't tell me..."