• | Chapter Fourteen | •

| Sunday ~ October 31st. . .

It was sometime past two when Riley met up with Michelle at the public library on the second floor towards the back. Michelle was sitting at a round table right by the ceiling-to-floor windows overlooking downtown traffic and next to row of tall bookshelves on the other side for further privacy.

It was Halloween day and nearly every inch of downtown outside was covered in black, white, and orange decorations with an unlimited supply of carved jack-o-lanterns that bore a variety of different expressions. Some people were already dressed in their choice of costumes while others were still out trying to purchase the last bags of candy to give out.

"Hey, M." Riley greeted as she approached the table stacked with textbooks from school. She took a seat as Michelle waved in response with a smile.

"Where's your other half?" Michelle joked, referring to Jay while flipping through her binder that consisted of notes from their English class.

Riley rolled her eyes and pulled out her own items, then blew out of a breath of slight annoyance. "Ever since Craig asked Jay to that party, she's been a little... occupied lately, to say the least. It's like she doesn't have time to hang with me anymore."

Michelle looked up and met her eyes, giving her a look of understanding. "I've been there. I used to have a friend like that and I eventually had to ditch that friendship." From her words, she could see Riley appeared uncomfortable at that option. "I'm not saying that will happen to you two; I just get what you're saying."

She propped her cheek against her hand while a pencil rested between her index and middle finger. "I just didn't really peg her as the type to ditch her best friend for a guy, especially one that's known to be a hoe."

Michelle twisted her glossed lips to the side as she absentmindedly drew random squiggle lines at the top of her paper. "I've known Craig since elementary school and he's honestly a nice guy."

Riley crossed her eyes causing Michelle to laugh before she spoke again, "No, really, he is. I just think he's surrounded by the wrong crowd ever since he joined the football team in middle school, then started gaining traction his freshman year. Now he's a star quarterback and he's getting girls left and right."

"That's what I mean. He uses that to his advantage and I don't want Jay getting hurt." Riley sighed, staring at her open English book.

Just simply looking at the text blocks printed across the pages was giving her a migraine. She had enough of school at this point and was ready for winter break, but she needed the extra help and notes from Michelle since she fell asleep several times in class. Not because she was tired, but the class was just boring as hell.

"I see what you mean." Michelle agreed as she leaned back in her chair and stretched her back after sitting leaned over her homework for about thirty minutes before Riley arrived. "I hope she's careful, too. But if Craig still has an ounce of his dignity left, he would treat her with the respect she deserves. He's not exactly a pig like the others."

"His actions say otherwise," Riley mumbled, then sighed.

"I know, I know. He's made some really stupid mistakes, but he'll come around hopefully. Maybe Jay can open his eyes and finally show him that being a prick isn't exactly the lifestyle he wants to lead." The prongs in her binder loudly snapped open as she took out some of her notes and handed them to Riley.

"Thanks." She said and Michelle smiled her welcome.

It was quiet between them for several minutes as Riley copied down the things she didn't have in her own notes and double checked to make sure she had everything she needed. After a while, Michelle broke the silence.