Chapter 5

Malena POV

As I was having lunch with Justin I saw Caleb, talking to an employee while his eyes were searching for someone, maybe Christian.

I tried to hide my face so I bent down pretending to pick something from the floor. As my eyes were fixed to the floor, a pair of shoes stopped in front of me. The moment I raised my head he was already in front of me.

I looked at him and he gave me a smile, a genuine one.  "Hey Malena. Gosh I can't believe you're here! You work here?" he said, helping me to get up. When I stood on my feet I was met with a bone crushing hug.

"Caleb, I can't breathe" I tried to say pushing him away but my strength was negligible in front of him.

"Sorry" he apologized, giving me a boyish grin. "But wait... You work here?"

"Yeah" I said.

"Malena... So how are you doing? How come you work here? I never saw you working here before?" he asked me, taking a seat and motioned me to sit too.

"I just joined here."

"Great. Now listen my family is holding a party and you're invited" he said out of blue which left me pretty shocked.

"No... No Caleb. I can't" I shook my head. "I really can't. Caleb it's your family that's holding the party. They won't like a stran-" before I completed my sentence, he got up and stopped me from saying anything else.

"Oh yes Ms you are coming and that's all. I'll send you the invitation" he said and left without even listening to my answer.

I couldn't  go. It was his family and I didn'
even know them. Caleb and I didn't even talk that much, not even in school.

"So you know Mr Walker?" Justin asked, bringing me out of my daze.

"Yeah he and I went to the same high school" I told him while I just enjoyed his expressions.

"So that means you know Mr Perez too?" he whispered.

"No… I don't know him. I just knew he went to the same high school as mine" I lied trying to prevent any sort of drama that could start if anyone would know about us.

After the lunch, I went back to my office and continued my work until the phone rang.

"Hello, Perez Pvt Li-" I was cut off by Christian's voice.

"Malena come here right now" he ordered, giving me no room to answer.

I knocked and entered slowly and carefully.

"Yes sir?" I asked nervously.

"You are going to the party?" he asked, dropping his pen from his hand to the table.

"I actually don't know sir but I think I'm going to refuse becau-" I was about to tell him the reason but he interrupted me.

"Fine then I'll pick you up" he told me.

"No sir I didn't say I'm going" I said.

"Yes you're" he said getting up from his chair.

"Sir, I don't think I have anything to do there" I replied, looking at his steps which were now directed towards me.

"But you're coming with me as my secretary" he said.

"I don't think I'm needed there . It's just your friend's par-"

"Okay listen Malena. Stop this. Okay?" he said stopped in front of me. He was inches away from me, so I took a step back in case...

"Don't pretend not to know me. I know you remember me and so do I. So just stop it" he said with a hint of annoyance in his tone. What the hell with him and his mood swings.

"But si-" he stoped me and continued.

"Christian. Call me Christian" and this was not a request.

"Christian… I'm not pretending. I'm just making things between us… professional, that's all" I explained.

"Professional? By pretending not to know me. By not talking to me. By acting so distant?" he asked, raising his voice a little.

"What do you want? This is how an employee acts with their bosses" I said.

"Yeah... I know but... I don't want you to act like this. I want you to call my name and not to be so distant from me" he said closing the distance between us.

I again stepped back while he still came close until I hit the wall.

He put his arms aside of my head, caging me.

"Christian you know... why I can't be close to you" I finally said looking straight into his eyes.

"No I don't... Tell me why?" he said shamelessly. Now who was the one pretending?

"You serious? Christian if I didn't have any problems in my life, I wouldn't have accepted this job or should have not even got close to you. You humiliated me in front of everyone. You gave everyone a reason to laugh at my face, rejection was fine but the outcomes were not. And I can't forget that. Because of you... " I stopped. I was holding back my tears. My hands were curled into a fist... I didn't want to tell him about my parents. About their death.

"I know, I know but can't we just start over again? You, me, a new start?" he said as I frowned.

Did he think this was all a joke? All that suffering I went through. Everything...

"No, Christian I can't. Not now at least" I said.

"Okay fine but take it slow. We'll start everything over again. A new start, me not being a d*ck, we'll be friends" he requested. "Please"

I didn't know what to say. Everything he said, his eyes were showing me sincerity but being friends… Was this what he wanted? Was this what I wanted? We being friends?
"Christi-"

"Please Malena. Please, I beg you. I can't see you like this all the time around me, I can't control myself. So please just be friends and not bother each other by our past"

Controlling himself? What did this mean?

"So you want us to be friends. But why?" I asked.
I mean it was not that I was disappointed… But still why did he want us in a relationship?

"Because I hurt you, I know and I want to make it up to you"

"I don't want anyone's pity and it was years ago"

"No, it's not pity. I am guilty. That time I was stupid okay. I didn't know tha-"

"It's okay. No need to talk about that now"

"So deal. We are good?"

I nodded hesitantly.

"So I'm picking you up for the party. Just get ready and I'll be at your service" he said jokingly.

I laughed dryly and said "so can I go now?"

"Yeah... Just leave and get ready for the party. I know women take a lot time to get ready and I don't want myself to wait for you for an hour"

"Fine, but I don't take that much time" I said defending myself.

Women take time? For how many women does he have waited?
But I brushed the thought away.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

I hope you like this chapter please do
Vote
Comment
Share