Chapter One

Her eyes immediately opened, her ears having picked up on the lurching sound of upwards movement, and the strain of metal chains. Scrambling up from the floor, she tried to get her thoughts together.

Why am I here? How did I get here? What's my name?

At the realisation of a lack of answers for all of her questions - most worryingly the last - her heart dropped and the dread began to swell in her stomach.

She could remember lots of things, just not anything specific. She could remember things about herself; she could remember she was a girl. But not her name. She could remember places; beaches, movie theatres, concerts. But no particular beaches, movies or bands.

What the hell is going on?

She scanned her surroundings. A small metal box with a few crates in three corners, and then herself in the forth. 

And the box was moving. Upwards, and quickly. As it continued to lurch upwards, she had to lean against the wall to avoid falling. Getting her bearings only just, she realised what she should've done as soon as she woke up in this predicament.

"Help! Someone! Please!" Her voice came out scratchy, as if she hadn't spoke for days. Only then she noticed her throat yearned for water, not that she had any. 

She tried screaming again, but her voice was weaker. Letting the box knock her, she fell down on her knees and pushed herself as far in the corner as she could, bringing her legs to her chest and hiding her face in her knees.

You're not supposed to be in here. You're in the wrong place.

Those weren't her own thoughts, although she was admittedly thinking it. It was the voice of a teenage boy, his tone filled with concern. How was his voice in her head?

She heard the same voice continue talking, speaking quickly with alarm raising in their voice, but it was distant. It was fading away. And then it disappeared completely. 

It was replaced with a shrill ringing; a noise like if you temporarily lost your hearing. But soon after, that too vanished.

She had no time to worry about any of it. The box had stopped. Not hesitating for a moment, she got to her feet and looked upwards to where she was hoping something would happen.

And it did.

First, a flood of voices. Excited chatter, laughter even. Then, some sort of door had opened above the box she was trapped in, flooding it and her vision with bright blinding light.

At first, she considered hiding. What if these people were going to hurt her? But then she realised her curiosity was too great. Shielding her eyes and squinting furiously, she tried to make out what was outside of the box.

Her eyes adjusted, and looking back, she wished she had a moment's longer of peace. But her eyes fell upon the crowd of people looking down at her. As if she were an animal in a zoo.

At least I remember what a zoo is. Have I been to one? With who?

Her lack of memory was starting to frustrate her. She had a problem with things out of her control. She couldn't stand it.

Looking closer at the people studying her, she realised they were all boys. Every single pair of eyes on her belonged to a teenage boy. Great.

"Well?" An impatient snarl from someone in the crowd. She found the face of the boy, a snarl also present on his face. His hair was buzzed short and his eyebrows arched, giving him a permanently angry expression.

It seems the boys couldn't properly see her yet. And how good it would've been to stay that way.

Someone jumped down into the box in front of her, causing her to jump. He placed his hands out in front of him, as if to say, I won't hurt you.