Chapter Three

Alby had led Florence into a room with three hospital beds and shelves filled with medical supplies. It was quaint and peaceful, the girl knowing immediately it would be a good place to get away from the business of the Glade, until someone gets sick of course.

Standing beside one of the beds were two boys. Clint - as Florence remembered - and another boy whose name she didn't know.

"Florence, this is Clint," Alby introduced her to a short light skinned boy with black hair, and a few gray hairs creeping in to conquer the rest of his head.

The Glade sure does age people.

"And this is Jeff." Alby pointed to a tall boy with dark skin and a buzzcut. 

"Hello." Florence gave them both a short wave, and to her relief, they gave her friendly smiles and waves back.

"Florence is going to start out with you two, she's very certain this is what she wants to do." 

Alby told them, acting as though she was not there whilst he spoke. Florence found herself rolling her eyes, the two Med-jack's smirking at her annoyance with the leader. Alby hadn't let Florence's eye roll pass him by, and he shook his head disapprovingly as he ducked out of the doorway and left the two boys to teach her her job.

"So, as you'd expect, the shanks in this place manage to hurt themselves a hell of a lot." Clint informed Florence, and she chuckled lightly, finding it easy to believe.

"For the moment, we'll just have you on small cuts and wounds. Leave any stitching or broken bones to us, but you can watch. Learn the harder stuff slowly." Clint's words made sense to her, and she nodded, happily placing herself down on one of the patient beds.

Clint turned to the medical supplies in small boxes lined up on shelves on the walls. He began to file things away calmly, Florence watching eagerly. It was clear that although their role was important, the boys often didn't have much to do with themselves. 

I guess there's the organising to do as well...

"Hey Florence?" Jeff spoke up, after remaining silent since she had arrived. She turned to face him, raising her eyebrows to indicate him to go on.

"Are those Minho's clothes?" Clint released a giggle he was clearly holding in. Florence huffed, her cheeks flooding with colour once again, and she folded her arms in frustration.

"In case you haven't noticed boys, there's no clothes for me. Minho was just being nice." She told them sternly, lifting herself off the bed and inspecting the equipment the boys had for treating the other Gladers.

Bandages, cleaning wipes, and a lot of scary tools Florence guessed were for surgeries. She found herself wondering if the boys had ever had to carry any surgeries out.

"Minho being nice, it's unheard of!" Clint commented, chuckling a little too much at his own joke. Florence hid the smile that passed her lips.

"Boys round here will be trying to get in her pants, but she's in Minho's alr-" Jeff's sentence ended with a thud to his chest from Clint, who looked to the girl to see if she had heard.

"Slim it." Clint muttered to the boy.

She hadn't heard. Luckily for Jeff that was. If she had heard the jokey comment he threw out, he'd only be earning another thud from his chest but certainly packed with a lot more anger in it.

The boys stopped their messing about and walked Florence through the role of a Med-jack; their rules, the methods used, and the gruelling routine needed if an injury was too serious to be left unmonitored.