04

rip mingyu rip mingyu rip mingyu rip mingyu poor mingyu nononononono
oki
a quick thanks to my toe snatching mother , for editing this
 <3

tw: mentions of murder

x

"Bye, Seokmin!" he yelled as a car pulled out of the driveway.

"Bye-bye, Mingyu! I'll see you at school!"

The tall, puppy-like male watched as his friend drove away. His backpack threatened to fall off of his shoulder as the familiar sound of their dog barking greeted his ears.

Tomorrow was the day he'd get his rings. Two, mysterious pieces of jewelry that tied him to someone for the rest of his mortal life.

It sounded stupid. Soulmates were supposed to be happy together for eternity, yet a vast majority weren't. His parents weren't even happy. They put on a mask when Mingyu was home, but he knew what was truly going on.

He pushed the door open and dropped his bag onto the floor before looking up and letting out a blood-curdling scream as he dropped to his knees. His head spun and he watched with wide eyes as his father tossed a knife onto the table, suddenly aware of Mingyu's presence.

In the middle of the room was a body laying on the ground. Blood coated her hair, arms, whatever it could reach. Her eyes met Mingyu's and she shakily laughed, clearly in pain.

A small sign was shared between them: a clench and unclench of the hand. A simple 'I love you' sign. Her eyes fluttered shut and the smile was wiped off of her face as her breathing slowed down.

Mingyu's hands shook as he watched his father pick the butcher's knife up. He grabbed his bag and whirled around, running out of the house after slamming the door shut. His body ran on autopilot, wondering where to go next.

"Police station!" he whispered, making a sprint for the area that was two miles away, maybe even three.

The idea of gaining his rings was flung out of his mind and into a folder titled 'ignore'.

x

"Hey, little man."

Mingyu was awoken by the sound of a female voice and a hand gripping his shoulders. His eyes adjusted to the light that eventually revealed what looked like an interrogation room. A metal desk was in front of him with a file. To his right was a wall with a mirror, undoubtedly hiding people behind it.

"You slept for a while," a voice said. He looked up to see a woman sitting in the chair, giving him a sympathetic smile. Mingyu nodded. "I'm Officer Hwang. Do you remember what happened last night?"

"I, uh," he sighed, rubbing his temples. "I went home, and, uh... Dad? Yeah, Dad. He was in the living room with a knife, and Mom was on the floor."

"By on the floor, you mean dead... or...?"

"No, not dead," he whimpered. "She had enough energy to... look at me, but she was struggling to breathe."

The woman nodded. "I see. And what exactly was your father doing?"

"He was next to the kitchen doorway and he had a big knife in his hands. But... he didn't have any blood on him. That means he didn't kill her, right? And Mom's still alive?"

A deathly silence followed the question.

"...Right?"

"Your grandma is outside. I need to get some papers and then you can leave, okay?"

"But-"

He watched the officer leave the room and stared at the door, lip quivering as tears threatened to spill.

x

Instead of the two minute period of sitting in an empty room, it turned into two hours. No one visited him, and nothing could satiate his thirst. The tiniest water bottle he had ever seen was provided for him, but he downed it within seconds.

He looked down at his hands for the first time since he had woken. On his left hand was a silver band with a garnet rose. A white substance, possibly snow, coated the tips of the petals. The band was twisted to give off a vine-like illusion, with thorn markings carved into the metal.

Three out of the four petals were wilted, whilst the fourth one was gleaming with life.

"Mingyu!"

An old lady came running into the room, dragon cane in hand. The handle of the cane was a dragon head that turned into a black rod the longer it got. When twisted, the dragon head could be pulled out into a blade.

The perfect weapon for self defense.

(fun fact: my dad has that)

"Gyu!" she wailed. The boy leaped out of his seat and into the arms of the crying elder. Mascara ran down her cheeks, and the poorly applied blush managed to stay. Her hair roots were a light gray, whilst the rest of her hair was a vibrant cobalt. "You poor boy."

"Where's Mom?" he whispered against her chest, tightening his grip on her shirt.

"She's in a better place now, baby. We should go to my house, and we'll make some hot chocolate. Did you bring a hoodie?"

Mingyu shook his head.

"Alright, take mine. There's a terrible storm outside."

He put on the hoodie and followed her through the police station. The police officers gave him sorrowful looks and moved out of his way without question.

As they exited the station, one thing was on repeat, never ending.

"Trial for the murder of Kim Yura to be held in three months. Kim Mingyu; primary witness. Suspect is on the loose; Kim Soohyun. I repeat: Suspect is on the loose. Send units to 142 vicantthinkofaname Street and the surrounding perimeter."