Chapter 37

Sebastian spent the day in his garage while I painted away in my room. I didn't see him for hours and when we did finally come together I was grabbing a bag of chips from from the pantry.

"Hey Char," Sebastian murmured when he saw me. His hands were coated in a black film and his previously clean tee shirt had dark streaks on it. I cocked my head to one side, wondering what he did all day and he caught my glance, always so in tune with me. "What are you thinking?"

"Just that I still don't know that much about you," I replied honestly. "We've been living together for over a month now and I just feel like I don't know you sometimes."

He pondered this for a moment while washing his hands in the kitchen sink. After he wiped his clean hands on a dish towel he answered. "You are allowed to ask me anything. You know that, don't you?"

"I mean, I guess so, but some things don't just come up in normal conversation."

"Fair enough. If it would make you more comfortable we could always play something along the lines of twenty questions," he suggested with a casual shrug.

"Aren't we a little old for that?"

"Fine, then we will play truth or drink," he shot back, a cheeky glimmer in his eyes. He approached me slowly and grabbed my hips. A soft gasp left my mouth as my gaze landed on his full lips, lips that I had been dreaming of kissing over and over again since he pushed me against the kitchen counter. And when he dipped his head down to kiss me I felt joy and anticipation take me away.

His lips pressed against mine and I let out a soft noise, my fingers itching to grip his hair again. But the second I even had a chance to lean into him he pulled away, leaving me stunned and wanting so much more than his almost friendly peck. 

"I'm going to change my shirt. Grab the shot glasses and some chasers."

Five minutes later we were sitting at the dinning room table, a bottle of vodka for me and a bottle of expensive tequila for him. Sebastian was sitting on the chair with a perfect posture, his hands folded neatly in front of him and I was suddenly very intimidated with the position I had put myself in.

"You go first," I instructed.

"No, you had questions that you obviously wanted answers to. You go first," he shot back.

And he was right. I had dozens of questions I wanted to ask him. I wanted to know how he got to the point he was at today and everything in between. But we were from such different worlds. Even with the moon goddess bringing us together we were entirely different people and I didn't want to come on too strong.

So, I chickened out.

"How old are?"

"Twenty six," he replied. 

"Oh, you seem older," I admitted.

"I could understand that," he agreed.

"When is your birthday?" I asked.

"Ah, sorry Char, one question at a time." He seemed to be lost in thought for a moment, his eyes glazing over as he stared at me. Then, he finally wondered, "What did you want to be when you grew up?"

"A marine biologist," I confessed. It all seemed so silly and unreasonable now. I was land locked. There was no ocean for me to study and the odd babysitting job would not be enough to fund my tuition in a place like British Columbia. "Why do you have such a nice car if you never drive it?"

Sebastian took a shot of tequila anyway, then stated, "Same reason I wear suits all the time. If you come onto people's packlands all deranged and demanding blood while looking like a rogue they're going to treat you like one. I have to act like I know what I'm doing and like I'm doing the right thing. It's a delicate balance of confidence and reassurance."