4. Sweetheart

S T E L L A

"Damnit, Stella. If you don't go on a date with that sexy officer, I will."

"You're dating Michael."

"You know he would understand."

I groaned, as I was working under a car in the auto shop to fill in for Calum while he was running errands. Gracie insisted that I needed supervision incase I got stuck under the car somehow. Although, it seemed more like a sorry excuse to nag me about not calling Ashton yet.

"I don't even want to see anyone right now. Stop trying to set me up with guys." I whined, laying under the car in defeat of a bolt that was too tight for my own strength. "Can you hand me the impact wrench?"

"What the fuck is that?" Gracie questioned as I hear her digging in one of the tool drawers.

As I began to wheel myself out from under the car to explain what it looked like, I heard a voice that made me stop in place.

"It's this one, darling." he spoke to Gracie as the sound of his footsteps grew louder.

I fully rolled out to see familiar black boots. My eyes were quick to scan the curly locks of hair, comprehending Luke's flawless face upside down. I watched the racer carefully as he squat down to hand me the tool I needed. 

"Thank you." I mutter, remembering that the last time I saw Luke, he had his hand on my thigh in the front seat of his car.

I hesitated before taking a look at his blue eyes, the ones that were searching for mine. I quickly looked away, rolling myself under the car once again to avoid his gaze.

"I'm sensing a lot of sexual tension, so I'm going to leave now." I hear Gracie's voice chime, causing me to groan once again. "Later, gators."

Gracie's comment made me jolt in a way that lead me hitting my head on bottom of the car. I winced, groaning as Gracie giggled and exited the auto shop.

"You okay?" Luke asked with a toned down chuckle.

"I'm fine." I mumbled, holding my hand over my head.

The silence and my occasional use of the impact wrench was the only sounds echoing in the garage. I knew Luke was still in my presence, as I could see his boots walking the perimeter of the car I was under.

"Calum won't be home for a while, y'know." I broke the silence, laying still beneath the vehicle. "Maybe you should come back later when he's home."

"I'm not here for Calum." The blonde man's voice deadpanned. 

My face could not avoid the confused look that was being created, as I inched out from the darkness. Once I was out in the light again, my eyes landed on his as if it were meant to stay that way forever.

"I know I'm the last person you want to help right now but I really need to bring my car in. It has a lot of problems that I can't fix on my own." Luke's tone sounded as if he was pleading for me to help, but his cold expression said otherwise.

"You and your car seem to have things in common." I snickered, sitting up on the creeper board.

I observed the way Luke's eyebrows knitted together from my remark as I wiped sweat off of my forehead with the back of my hand.

"Stel, please." He huffed in frustration.

"No. Calum already helped you once and you're lucky he did in the first place." I stood up, walking over to the sink nearby to wash the black filth off of my hands. "And stop calling me that." I turned on the faucet, beginning to scrub at my hands in angst.