Hagrid's Detention & Unwanted Attention

CHAPTER NINE:

Third Person P.O.V.:

By the time the four Gryffindors had snuck out of the castle, the sun had set and curfew would come soon after. Harry, Hermione, Charlie and Ron had all successfully made their way up to Hagrid's front door before Charlie knocked twice.

As the half-giant opened the door, he sighed, "'Ello yeh lot. 'Orry, don't wish to be rude, but I'm in no fit state to entertain yeh today."

With that, Hagrid quickly tried to shut the door before the four kids all screamed out simultaneously, "We know about The Philosopher's Stone!"

This comment caused the half-giant to open the door once again, "Oh. In yeh come then."

The four gracefully entered Hagrid's Hut behind him, while Ron had shut the door after they entered.

It wasn't long before Harry began telling Hagrid their conclusion about their long haired professor, "We think Snape's trying to steal it."

"Snape?" Hagrid questioned, "Blimey. You're not still on about him, are yeh?"

"Hagrid," Harry pleaded as the four sat down in front of the fireplace, "We know Snape's after the Stone, we just want to know why."

Hagrid sighed and shook his head, "Snape is one of the teachers protecting the Stone. He's not 'bout to steal it."

Hermione shared a confused glance with the three young boys. After a moment, Charlie spoke, "Wait, what?"

"You heard," Hagrid retaliated, "Right. Come on, now, I'm a bit preoccupied like I said."

The brown eyed boy watched as Ronald Weasley has zoned out from the conversation and was now holding a staring contest with Hagrid's dog, Fang. He fought back the urge to laugh as he figured now might not be the best time.

Harry, on the other hand, spoke again in a confused tone, "One of the teachers?"

"Of course!" Hermione began, "There are other things guarding the stone, aren't there? Spells and enchantments."

"Exactly," Hagrid affirmed, "Seems like a bloody waste of time if yeh ask me, ain't no one getting passed Fluffy. Ain't a soul who knows how, except me and Dumbledore."

For a second time, the half-giant realized that he told the four Gryffindors too much, "Oh goodness me. Shouldn't have said that. Should not have said that."

Suddenly, there was a clanking noise coming from Hagrid's fireplace. The young boys and girl quickly snapped their heads at the sound, Charlie to see what it was. Hagrid, on the other hand, looked rather pleased. He quickly reached into the cauldron that was set over his fireplace and pulled out what Charlie could only assume, was an egg of some kind.

The half-giant carried the egg to the table in his hands, all the while making of bunch of "oh" sounds because of how hot it was. The four kids quickly got up and followed the giant to the table.

"Uh," Harry began before looking up at Hagrid, who was now sitting down, "What exactly is that?"

For the first time, Ron spoke up, "I know what that is! But, Hagrid, how did you get one?"

"I won it," Hagrid explained quickly, "From a stranger down at the pub. Seemed quite glad to be rid of it, as a matter of fact."

The egg on table shook and began to crack. Whatever was inside, was soon going to pop out to say hello. Charlie watched in awe as a baby dragon emerged from the egg, "Wicked!"

"Is that..." Hermione trailed off for a moment before continuing, "A dragon?"

"That's not just a dragon," Ron explained, while too, staring in awe,"That's a Norwegian Ridgeback. My brother, Jack, works with them in Romania!"