The World I Used to Know

-Mariana-

I heard a distant buzzing sound, waking me up from my sleep and I grumpily rolled over. "What?" I asked groggily into the phone once I answered, not opening my eyes.

"Mariana." Ric replied in a heavy voice and I furrowed my eyebrows, now sitting up with my eyes wide open.

"Alaric—what's going on, is Freya okay?" I asked in some worry only to hear him give me a small chuckle in response.

"We—we're fine.. but It's Elena." He pointed out and I rose an eyebrow and pulled my knees towards my chest, leaning my elbows on them.

"Let me guess.. Elena somehow found out about you erasing Damon from her memories. Now, she's pissed at you for obliterating the only good memories she had of him." I stated, tilting my head a bit as I heard Alaric sigh deeply from the other side.

"How is it that you're never too far off?" Ric pointed out and I chuckled a bit and smiled. "You know, as much as I like to think that I am full of wisdom—I think it's time that I stop pretending that I actually know what's best." He added sarcastically and slowly nodded and looked out the window beside me and up at the crescent moon.

"You have your own issues to sort out right now.. We all do." I stated quietly and looked away from the window and around me at the familiar loft. "Look, just give Elena her old diary.. there's probably stuff in there that she wrote about Damon.. That will explain it better than anyone ever can." I pointed out with a small nod and heard Alaric slowly sigh from the phone.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't be talking to you about this." Alaric said in defeat and I shook my head back at him and shrugged.

"It's fine, really. We're all dealing with it in our own way. I understand what it's like to want to forget sometimes." I admitted quietly before silence came from the other end and I cleared my throat. "Well, it's late and I'm pretty sure you have a class to teach tomorrow so I'll let you go to bed. Love you, kiss Freya for me." I stated, hanging up quickly and letting out a heavy breath once I did. I stared down at my phone to see the picture I had set as my lock screen and I rolled my eyes as set my phone back on the nightstand. "Are you just going to lurk or come back to bed?" I asked, looking towards the kitchen area to see Marcel leaning against one of his counters, only wearing his underwear.

"That depends. Are you going to be here when I wake up?" Marcel countered, drinking from his small glass of blood.

"I had an emergency back home." I stated, looking away from him and back out the window. "You should be grateful. You were the first one I decided to see when I got back into the city." I admitted and looked back at him to see a smirk fall across his face.

"Have I not already shown you how grateful I am?" Marcel asked teasingly, setting his glass down on the counter behind him.

"Hmm.. Maybe I need more convincing." I answered with a smirk of my own. Marcel watched me intensely before he vamped towards me and I chuckled a bit as he hovered over me now. He stared down at me silently, flickering his eyes between mine and my lips before he kissed me roughly. I kissed back and let my hands wander over his shoulders and back, lightly grazing over his skin. I smiled and felt his lips move down my chin and neck, letting my eyes fall in the moon again and I couldn't help but feel a slight pain in my chest.. but I quickly ignored it and pushed it away.

-Damon-

I whistled in tune as Bonnie and I walked through the woods, making her raise an eyebrow at me. "You're in a good mood for the first time this decade. Stop that." Bonnie stated in amusement and I rolled my eyes.