[11]

The car ride was rather quiet

Maybe it wouldn't have been if it was just Soomin and Kun, but Donghyuck was gloomily sitting in the front seat while the girl was in the back. The rain had stopped as they entered the big city of Seoul. She only realised because of the sudden noise outside that indicated life because she had been forced to wear a blindfold all the way. Not that she minded, she actually dozed quite a few times since it had been peaceful.

Kun was the one driving and he followed a GPS location that Soomin had put in. He had no idea whether he was going to her mother or a police station but he trusted the girl enough.

As they were 5 minutes away, the elder boy looked at the rearview mirror. "You can take off your blindfold now, Soomin." 

She did as instructed, blinking aggressively at the sudden light. Her eyes were then immediately drawn to the window and you could see them glimmering as she stared at the many tall buildings they passed. 

Soon, the car stopped at a parking lot which Soomin already recognized. She put on her mask and sunglasses and was let out the car by Donghyuck. He looked at her emotionlessly before turning around and staring at the tall walls.

"Is this where your mom lives?" Kun seemed slightly confused, not seeing a building. Soomin nodded before walking off towards the huge gates. The girl stopped at one of the stands and using some lose change she found in her own clothes, she bought a candle and a small boquet of flowers. The 2 boys were now fully confused as they followed her and entered through the gate into the space.

And the realization dawned on them both.

They were at a graveyard.

Kun bit his lip, looking towards Soomin who stopped slightly before continuing down the ordinary path. The boys followed her, passing by hundreds of graves. But she kept going until they reached a section where instead of grave stones, there was mud and trees growing. There were all ranges of height, some saplings while some towered into the sky. 

Soomin stopped by a tree that was maybe up to her chest, the 2 boys doing the same. They caught a glimpse of the wooden slab hung on it.

May you rest in peace

Park Chungcha

1974 - 2018

The girl turned around and looked towards Kun. "Do you have a lighter?"

The doctor began shuffling through his pockets, but halted as Donghyuck took out a lighter and extended it towards Soomin. She silently took it and turned back towards the tree.

It was quiet as she got down to her knees and Kun nudged the younger boy. "Let's go watch from over there." He pointed to a spot slightly further away.

"But hyung, what if she esca-"

"That doesn't matter right now." The elder growled out watching Soomin as she placed the boquet of white flowers on top of some others that were already there. Donghyuck complied although he wasn't completely sure and the 2 stepped away, out of hearing range.

Unable to breathe, Soomin ripped off her mask and glasses, revealing her face to the tree as she stared at it silently. A sad smile adorned her face as she unwrapped the candle and lit it up. It began burning and she placed it next to the flowers and finally got the courage to look up at the wooden sign.

"Mom..." The girl's voice almost cracked and she took a deep, shaky breath to muster the best happy smile she could. "It's already been 2 years mom. How does it feel up there?"

...

"Well it definitely isn't great down here." Soomin giggled bitterly. "But I'm strong, mom, and I'll get through it. I'm your daughter afterall."

The girl sat in a more comfortable position, her legs crossed. She did not care that her trousers were getting wet from the mud, the only thing that mattered was her mom.

"You know, I was supposed to get married this week. But that didn't happen because I got kidnapped. But it isn't bad, so dont worry about me! The people treat me more like a human than dad does."

Silence greeted her and the girl blinked a couple of times before looking up in an attempt to not any tears fall.

"Mom, do you still love dad? Because he really loved you, but didn't respect you at all. He promised that I will go to college. But as soon as you left, he arranged me with a guy. Isn't is a little funny?" Soomin laughed to herself slightly, thinking about how ridiculous the situation had been.

"Anyways, mom, I wish I could stay longer. But I can't since someone may see me and I shouldn't be spotted."

And that's why she stood up, dusted herself off and put on her mask yet again.