𝘅𝗶𝗶. chapter twelve.

┍━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┑
xii. CHAPTER TWELVE

STONEWELL JEWELLERY┕━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┙

STONEWELL JEWELLERY
┕━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━┙

          "HE WON'T TAKE IT BACK."

         Briar and Lily were walking out of Transfiguration the next morning. Professor McGonagall had been surprisingly concerned about Briar's health, and asked her if she was feeling well enough to sit in class. She'd even given her a two-day extension on their homework.

         Briar frowned. "What do you mean, he won't take it back?"

         "I don't know. He just said that you could throw it into the lake if you wanted, but he wasn't going to take it back," Lily explained.

          Briar reluctantly took the box that Lily handed her. "Well, can't you tell him that-"

            "I'm not telling him anything. The two of you are as stubborn as mules, you can talk it out yourselves. Really, Briar, he wants to give you a gift, he probably feels bad about breaking your old pin. And if he says it isn't as expensive as you think it is... maybe he isn't lying. You should accept it. What's stopping you?"

         "I just don't understand, Lily. He didn't seem particularly apologetic when he broke the pin, so why is he trying to make amends now?" Briar demanded, reluctantly sliding the box into her bag.

          Lily rolled her eyes. "I think you worry too much. Maybe you should stop analyzing it and just take the gift. Will I see you in the library again today?"

         Briar nodded absent-mindedly. "Yes, um... I was hoping you would help me out with some observations I need to prepare for Potions."

          "All right. I'll be there at half past six. See you then!"

           Briar waved goodbye to Lily, before turning towards the Slytherin common room. She waited until she found a comfortable seat near a window, before taking out the small box that Lily had given back to her.

Briar had to admit, she wanted to keep the hairclip. It was beautiful, and if it had come from someone else she would have accepted it instantly. It was hard to refuse such a wonderful gift. But it was Sirius Black's motives behind it that confused her.

Why would he do something like this? Briar hated to think that this gift was some sort of a trick, but the thought kept occurring to her. It didn't seem much like Sirius to do something out of the goodness of his heart. She didn't trust him, not really. It couldn't be cursed, he wouldn't go quite that far, but... Briar simply wasn't sure what to think. He'd been kind to her the previous day, but that didn't mean much. Black could be charming to anyone when he wanted to be.